Saturday, August 28, 2021

What Have We Learned?

As most everyone understands by now, our ruling class hates -- for lack of a better term -- "Trumpist populism" because it has revealed their utter cluelessness to anyone whose livelihood doesn't depend upon maintaining this institutional stupidity. 

No sentient person is surprised at the sudden "realization" that our president is a feeble but compliant tool of various and sundry interests that are not our interests, from technofascist thought police to greedy public employee unions to the lucrative racist-industrial complex.  

So, what's the bottom line? What have we learned? Speaking for myself, I have learned that real intelligence is much, much rarer than people realize. What does it say that even a crank blogger such as myself knows more about military strategy than the woke heretic-hunting generals advising our president? Or that even I know more about the cause of inflation than his economic advisors?  

But these examples are too specific. I'm making a much more general point about the rarity of real intelligence. There are people who will tell you with a straight face that Ours is the most educated citizenry ever!, which just makes you want to laugh, after you're done vomiting. Can you even imagine deferring to someone because He attended Harvard!, or worse,  He's an Ivy League professor! 

Not to boast, but I'm guessing that longtime readers are attracted to a blog that speaks intelligently of religious matters. Now that I think about it, I only write to serve a small niche audience called myself. If there were someone else doing it, I could retire from blogging as well. (To be perfectly accurate, I know that others exist, but it takes me less time to write than to read.)

Anyway, back to Real Intelligence. Back when I finished grad school in 1988, I was still naive enough to believe that a PhD conferred some sort of special status. And now that I'm thinking about it, I'm sure that a big part of this was due to my own needs for status and distinction, long since extinguished. Back then, I still wanted to be a little Somebody instead of a big Nobody.  

Intelligence and Authority are intimately connected. Real intelligence -- the kind we're discussing here -- cannot be conferred in any extrinsic manner. Rather, it is communicated directly, intellect to intellect -- or better, heart-intellect to heart-intellect, since it transcends any transmission of mere "information," factual or otherwise. 

It's enough to hear it to know it's authoritatively true -- not necessarily because of the content but because of the mysterious source -- as in how some village carpenter said "follow me," and they did. Not only was his authority granted by no man, but the men with authority saw to it that he was given the Socrates treatment. Socrates too spoke with Authority, which brings to mind an Aphorism:

As long as they do not take him seriously, the man who speaks the truth can live for a while in a democracy. Then, the hemlock.

Or cross. Or cancefixion. The logos must be punished!

Most readers of this blog know when they are in the presence of this subtle intelligence-light (≈), and cannot be fooled by the other kinds. Some people radiate intelligence; others radiate stupidity. Who can see the face of Chris Cuomo or Sandy Cortez or Kamala Harris and not feel the stupid? 

But again, those examples are too specific, when I'm referring to something far more general: in our day and age the stupid pervades the pneumosphere; its sophicating presence is everywhere, so much so that it is difficult even to have an intelligent conversation with these spiritually coarse and intellectually crude masses of asses. It is much easier to have an intelligent conversation with my gardener or pool man than with a fellow psychologist. 

As if that's not enough, the diabolical alliance of tech giants and the DNC has emboldened the powers and principalities that aren't content to just marginalize intelligence, but ultimately wish to criminalize it. And one way they achieve this is by outsourcing the suppression of intelligence to hordes of credentialed submediocrities who gain a sense of identity and moral superiority by punishing and excluding people who are much more intelligent than they are.

Do you have any idea of the billions of dollars it costs to prop up the university apparatus designed to enforce this institutional stupidity -- i.e., the diversity goons, antiracism thugs, feminist whordes, multicultureless zealots, etc.?  The cost isn't just measured in student indebtedness, but in the assimilation of an impenetrable farcefield that repels all appeals to intelligence.

Imagine spending that much money to make oneself that stupid! These indebted students think they merely got a bad deal, but they have no idea, because they still think the product just cost too much, when the real problem is that the product is spiritually and certainly intellectually toxic.  

You can have the most expensive educational establishment in the world, but it will do nothing to alter the sobering reality of the Bell Curve. You can give a PhD to a person with a 100 IQ, but the former has no impact on the latter. 

Suffice it to say that this credentialism is one of the reasons that the ranks of our elite are packed to the gills with stupid. Not only is it affirmative action all the way down, but it is... how to put it... affirmative exclusion all the way up. In other words, they see to it with tools such as "diversity," "equity," and a ruling class that looks like us! that intelligence is not a criteria.  

But normal people are beginning to rebel, as we're seeing with CRT protests, mask rebellions, the homeschooling movement, etc. Here in California there is a slight chance that the handpicked face of technofascism will be defeated by the Black Face of White Supremacy -- in other words, an intelligent black person.

Now, all of the above was provoked in the course of reading Lee Siegel's latest collection of essays, The Crisis of Liberalism: Prelude to Trump (in sidebar).  It provides a lot of history and context as to how we got here. HISTORY is difficult to see when we're in the middle of it -- which we always are. 

But Siegel vividly traces the line of progressive stupidity back a century or so, to the days of Woodrow Wilson and Herbert Croly, the latter being one of the fondling fathers of progressive perversity. Come to think of it, a better book to start with would be Siegel's The Revolt Against the Masses: How Liberalism Has Undermined the Middle Classwhich goes into more detail on how we ended up mired in this tarpit of stupid.

46 comments:

John Venlet said...

I would've guessed you had been reading Lewis' "The Abolition of Man."

Cousin Dupree said...

Chris Cuomo, the blank face of progressive journalism.

ted said...

Speaking of bloggers who speak of religious matters intelligently, I just started reading Larry Chapp and he just posted some grist for the mill on the "universalism" vs. "dogma" argument between theologians. I think this is same as the left vs. Traditional conflict. While I like David Bentley Hart, if everyone is saved then does what we do on earth really matter... not far from Charles Manson's "if everything is one, then nothing is wrong."

Gagdad Bob said...

Wow, he's good. Curses, humbled again!

Gagdad Bob said...

I'm watching this conversation between Chapp and Bishop Barron.

Anonymous said...

Hey wait a minute ... I claim bait and switch. I thought this was supposed to be the site for tiresome Afghanistan commentary. That's it! I'm outta here.

Don't we hope.

Anonymous said...

What I like about this bit on Real Intelligence, is that those dangblasted Chinese with their higher IQs which everybody here knows only measures Fake Intelligence, though the CCP Chinese seem to have found the proper balance between personal and social responsibility at least until their economy collapses for unforeseen reasons and a murderous dictator starts killing everything in sight, per Gods plan, will be roasting in hell soon enough with only 4% of all Chinese being actual Christians.

Meanwhile Trumpian loyalists, 96% Christian, after a lifetime spent watching YouTube videos of conservative pundits contradicting each other, will be waking up in the good place.

This would be a valuable lesson for us all except there aren’t any YouTube videos showing the contrast between heaven and hell. I tried to search up a Prager video, with even a quickly drawn cartoon informercial being sufficient for me, but all I found was a "fireside chat" which reminded me of FDR and his goddamned progressivism.

We may need more better around here about what happens in eternity. Not for the choir preachers mind you, but for these badly misguided Chinese folk.

ted said...

Didn't you hear, Biden ordered a drone strike and killed a couple guys. Problem solved (according to MSNBC, CNN, CBS, NPR, and NYT.)

Anonymous said...

anon @8/28/2021 12:22:00 PM,

Your Afghanistan stories have become as tiresome as your demands for even more Afghanistan stories. I suggest you pick up a Bible and fill your empty head with some Real Intelligence.

Anonymous said...

Well that didn't last long. The good news is us long time Bob readers can wait out the troll(s) and they eventually tire of us, as we've had to do many times over the years. Part and parcel.

Gagdad Bob said...

The persistent attraction of trolls lets me know I'm on the right track.

Gagdad Bob said...

It's why I've never censored or banned anyone.

Anonymous said...

anon @ 8/28/2021 12:33:00 PM

My 12:22 post was meant to be humor - not all too funny I suppose but ...

All this anonymous stuff is getting a bit tiresome too. Maybe I should go back to using the old non-anonymous identity I used on this site years ago. The only reason I changed to using anonymous was because I had some lefty nimrod stalking me across several websites where I used that identity and I didn't want to bring that garbage here. I rarely post anymore - reading Bob and the regular posters here is enough ... not sure why I allowed myself to get sucked into this troll tug. Sorry gang.

Anonymous said...

This post blasts the left but seems a little watered down. No hellfire and damnation in this broadside.

That's not to say the author's extremely dim view of academia doesn't come across. It certainly does.

The post begs the question of why exactly, if the overlords are so stupid, are they the overlords and not the intelligent people?

Yes, there's something fishy about the assertions you are making. If these are the people in charge you are talking about, then what does it say about their wards? Even stupider?

And in what category would you consequently fall in to? The stupid or the even stupider?

Yes, I think you may have shot yourself in the foot with this one. Live and learn.

Stephen Macdonald said...

The no-censoring policy serves the intended purpose. But oh my those too clever anon trolls are like the dentist's drill.

Petey said...

It is possible we will someday be visited by a clever troll. Perhaps not in your lifetimes, but that's no excuse to moderate the comment section and spare Bob his eventual undoing at the hands of this devastatingly witty fellow. Personally I can't wait.

Anonymous said...

You wouldn't recognize a "clever troll". You label someone as a troll who doesn't agree with you and likewise have no respect for anyone's opinion that differs from yours.

Cousin Dupree said...

Just when you think it's impossible to insult a leftist's intelligence.

EbonyRaptor said...

I've dropped my cloak of anonymity for a brief post to give our troll a full throated "r-a-s-p-b-e-r-r-i-e-s". That felt good. Now back to my raccoon cocoon.

Anonymous said...

So Gagdad do your parents and siblings read these things? How do you avoid causing strife in your family with these diatribes?

Let's say sister's husband likes Biden. He reads some posts, and it dawns on him you are writing filthy trash about people who share his views- which would extend to include him.

Fast forward to the family Thanksgiving Day gathering. Yay sister and husband are here. But there seems to be tension in the room. Tick-tock. Tick-tock. Conversation fades and there he is, glaring from across the room. Oh shite this could be a long evening.

Unless every swinging dick in your clan is on the same page. What are the chances?



Anonymous said...

The other (recently re-cloaked) anonymous says - see, you can have fun with trolls. I think the end may be near.

Gagdad Bob said...

Anonymous:

It would be totally inappropriate for me to inflict my views on people who don't want to hear them. What's your excuse?

Gagdad Bob said...

A Japanese take on the Everly Brothers:

Like listening to the be-trus' near birth, the illusion was so happy. In accordance with Brother's singing voice, when I caught my eyes, I got tears like the figure singing JioneBall ran around my head, and then I was experiencing the miracle of 1960 again in the city. The shock when I played as a player on the video game concert was also amazing. Goosebumps, I was at the LONLOLVERBAS at all in the bus, but I heard a song, but the impact of this albam was the impetus of my musical life. Eveiy Brothers will begin their studies from now on.

ted said...

Bob: A recommendation to watch these Amoeba record videos where they interview various musicians about their favorite albums & more. It's actually a great education for me as many of these picks are off the beaten path.

Gagdad Bob said...

I used to watch those way back in the before-Covid times. I didn't realize they were still making them, because Amoeba was closed for over a year. My last visit must have been early March 2020. Since then they've moved to a new location, and I never venture toward LA if I can avoid it. The closer you get, the worse things are. Come to think of it, one of the last times I went to Amoeba was in November 2019, when I took my son. Right in front of us, homeless guy dropped his pants and took a dump right in the aisle.

Anonymous said...

Regarding loud and proud meatspace relatives, Bob probably does what the rest of us here do, suffer in silence to then conveniently forget to invite them the next time. So he provides us with this space here to vent, so this can be the Thanksgiving dinner we wish we had. I solved this problem long ago with my themed Thanksgivings. My Soviet Thanksgiving, complete with comrade informants and even a gulag (converted the woodshed), went quite well. Anybody who complained about the long lineups for turkey was quickly hustled away. Sadly, my MAGA Thanksgiving was a disaster and my kitchen got trashed. That disaster was somewhat lessened by the singing of patriotic hymns. This year I'll try a BLM kwanzaa Christmas.

ted said...

Took a dump in the aisle? Now the punk move would be to have done it on stage!

Gagdad Bob said...

The other reason I don't go to Amoeba is I used to trade CDs there, but have been selling them on Ebay instead since Two Weeks to Flatten the Curve. I've made a killing there, even though I was just hoping to get more than I would have gotten in trade. It's still just a hobby, but it's a much better way to finance my addiction. Lately I've been on a Duke Ellington bender, and once you start with him, it's very difficult to stop. Before that it was a Mingus spree, a Fahey jag, and an out-of-print Mosaic box set scavenge.

Another thing I did was purchase a good burner with which I can condense a huge box set down to a disc of favorites and then sell the box. It also makes it easy to take a risk on a purchase, because I can often resell it for more than I paid.

I love capitalism. There's something innate about it.

Gagdad Bob said...

Now I'm hunting for out-of-print Porter Wagoner, king of creepy goth-country, for lack of a better term. For example, check out The First Mrs. Jones or The Cold Hard Facts of Life.

ted said...

"I love capitalism. There's something innate about it," said the homeless guy who got to empty his bowels in a nice record store.

ted said...

I love classic country and jazz, proving every new genre has its heyday and only goes downhill from there.

Gagdad Bob said...

Another weird one: George Leroy Chickashea. I'm surprised youtube hasn't banned it!

Gagdad Bob said...

Somebody should do a parody of that: Barry. Hussein. Obama.

Gagdad Bob said...

Or maybe a parody called Quid Pro Joe.

Anonymous said...

Hello Anonymous:

I liked your comment about the themed Thanksgiving with the shed converted into a Gulag. Sounded like fun! The possibilities are endless! How about a Godfather Thanksgiving? Where the turkey with gravy is an offer you can't refuse?

Yeah, the thing with this blog is, the post content is quite often abnormal and diseased (in my opinion). The rational reader takes in one or two posts and says oh cool, nice. But after the 500th in the same vein, the same reader inevitably begins to wonder about the blog author's mental state. What is going on in there?

Of course the first place to check is the family of origin; as in, where was the obsessions created?

My gut feeling is that the man is chronically angry at someone, I mean really bitterly upset. This is what we would call a "burning resentment."

If I had to guess, I'd say there was really heavy disagreement with his father at around age 14. This rift was grossly disruptive and painful and has never healed. I'll go out on a limb and guess the father is/was a leftist.

I shouldn't even be saying this stuff, but I have to be honest I felt slighted by the blog author's comments about higher education and educators, and democrats in general. I don't believe the severity of his painful smack-down was warranted.

Now he's commenting about music with his friend Ted, and that is nice, but you can't drop a big fat bomb like the one you delivered and just expect people to move on to talking about music. Not going to be that way.

But if we must, I would put out a shout out to Nicky Minaj. She hasn't been active as of late but listen to "Starship." That is some good sh*t there.

EbonyRaptor said...

Hoping that my stalker has moved on to other haunts, I've decided to shed the cocoon so I can also shed association with the anonymous poster(s) haunting Bob's place. Hopefully it will be over soon as it has now devolved into ad hominem attack - a sure fire sign it has exhausted any semblance of cogent thought, such as it was.

Gagdad Bob said...

Love it -- from a recent Rob Henderson newsletter:

"In the past, upper-class people displayed their social status with luxury goods (e.g., expensive watches). Today, they do it with luxury beliefs.

"The affluent have decoupled social status from goods and re-attached it to beliefs.

"Repeating talking points from legacy media is the new luxury time piece.

"Broadcasting your luxury beliefs is the new fur coat."


Gagdad Bob said...

Wokeism is very much like the Peacock's tail -- an extravagant but useless advertisement of Darwinian fitness.

Anonymous said...

I think we four anonymii (three if you don’t count Dupree's sockpuppet) have got the spiritual aspects down by now. What’s confusing us is the modern need to also include a lengthy list of earthly strictures, some of which jibe with the Bible but some of which don’t. Now I cant speak for the others, but the toughest one for me has always been all the supplicating at corporate altars.

Anonymous said...

Anon @8/29/2021 11:13:00 AM,

There are literally hundreds of Youtube videos explaining this particular echo chamber, ranging from upbeat social scientists to theological downers like Schaeffer and Hedges.

But we must improve ourselves first, he says. So my interest lies in the demonic possession bit. Or maybe the Dunning Kruger part. Or adolescent girls with Daddy Issues perhaps? Out in meatspace I've never been described as being any of those things. A "fucking asshole" maybe a few times as a kid and twice as an adult. But none of the others. Maybe I also practice self-deception, without even knowing it, as is typical for such practicing?

Maybe Bob goes to one of those prosperity gospel churches so full of Vince Peale and Trump. Maybe he listens obsessively to conservative whatever so he has something to talk about after Catholic mass, besides what a fucking asshole the Pope is. This sure is fascinating though. It's fun to speculate.

Anonymous said...

EbonyRapter,

So they say once you go black you don't go back. Is this true?

Speaking of corporate profits in Afghanistan, I actually supported our being there to trash the Taliban, then get bin Laden though it sure took a long time. After which, we'd leave. I did however, believe the conservatives back then who said that Moslems were nuts and could never be deprogrammed, so the last ten years or so in Afghanistan was a waste of taxpayer money. Any thoughts?

Anonymous said...

Norman Vincent Peale famously wrote "the trials of life are meant to make you, not break you."

Now, when you unpack this one, you are unpacking a lot. A very large lot.

I will unpack with anyone who wants to travel this, but I'm not going to do it unless there is a request because it is labor intensive.

On the plus side, I'm a sexpot.

-Connie Has Soft Back Pockets. Would you like to put some skin in the game?

Anonymous said...

the trials of life are meant to make you, not break you

So this means I wouldn't be commenting here as I do had I not had my trials? If I remember correctly, NVP was big into getting folks to augment their dreams not just with positive thinking, but with positive goal setting. Worked for me.

But it sure seems that somewhere along the way and for far too many, faith-based goal-setting turned into faith based rationalizing.

We wouldn't have had Trump doing stuff like promising coal and Carrier workers their jobs would stay, right before they went away, in plain sight, and not being called to account by his faithful, to then inspire other perfectly normal men to dress up in mamas clothes.

"If you can dream it you can be it", Frankenfurter would say. So why couldn't all these ladyboys be a result of faith-based reasoning gone kinky? For me, it's moderation in all things, just like the Bible says. Boooorring! The Rocky Horror crowd boos.

But what would Vince Peale say about all this?

EbonyRaptor said...

Nelson Mandela's "Conversations with Myself" is one of the books still on my "want to read" list. However, the last couple comment sections have me rethinking this. No offense to Mr. Mandela.

Anonymous said...

If you’re big on judging first and asking questions later, I’d skip the Mandela.

EbonyRaptor said...

Says the pot to the kettle.

Theme Song

Theme Song