Saturday, June 13, 2020

The Idiot's Guide to Your Head, or A Cartography of Spirit

I've never been this backed up in the brain. Usually there's a rough balance of tirade between input and output, but at present I'm so far behind the tomes that I count no fewer than a dozen of them with which we need to catch up. How did this happen?

Oh, I know. The quarantine. The increased slack resulted not only in a greater quantity of reading, but -- and maybe this was providential -- a much deeper quality of reading, what with the Voegelin binge.

As far as I'm concerned, he takes us as deep into the cosmos as we can go, at least from the noetic (i.e., pneumo-cognitive) side of things. The pneumatic (mystico-experiential) side is another matter. Perhaps we'll veer into that modality when we formally retire, which, with any luck, will be in about six months.

Until the quarantine, I'd been thinking that retirement would solve the enduring problem of the Great Sequel. But now I have to rethink that, because it is by no means self-evident that more free time equates to more containment of the Mystery, or taming of the bucking cosmos. No, it only aggravates the Mystery in an exponential way. I don't want to say that it leaves me more confused, because that's not it at all. More... how to put it?

It's more like, say, one hour of input requires three or four hours of output, so I need to either reduce the former or increase the latter. At the very least, I need to write every day just so as to keep from sinking beneath the waves. I guess I don't mind writing every day, but who on earth wants to read me every day? Isn't that a little tedious?

Whatever. Nothing I can do about that. In any event, let's try to knock one of these books from the pile. It's called Political Apocalypse, which sounds ridiculously timely, no?

I've told you before that when I do a deep dive into this or that thinker's body of work, I often *imagine* they're contacting me directly via the ether or whatever you wish to call it. "Nonlocal operators standing by, ready to assist you," and all that.

Now, if you really appreciate how weird this cosmos is -- and I've tried to tell you -- then this really isn't weird at all. Voegelin wishes desperately to be understood, and nothing about this has changed just because he's no longer with us biologically. (I promise to do the same once I leave earth behind and go looking for Bo Diddley.)

Remember when Jesus says "I am with you to the end of the age"? Not only is this not remotely implausible, he's not the only one. He may be the 800 lb guerrilla, but there are other spiritual warriors hiding in the burning bushes, trees of life, the mycelial network, etc. And look, they're everywhere, okay? True hallucinations. You just have to surrender to the process, and the process will come to you.

No, I'm not just in a queer mood this morning. Here's a passage I read just yesterday from Eric Voegelin: Philosopher of History. He's right here, sitting across the table and reminding us that

To the extent that men are actually philosophers in the original sense, they are engaged in an experiential, mystical ascent to luminous participation in existential truth.

Are we not men? Are we not philosophers? Are we not mystically ascending to luminous participation in existential truth? Are we not Coons? YES! WE! ARE! Someone has to do it, and it has come down to us. And it goes like this:

the movement of the soul into luminosity of existence is simultaneously a human seeking [↑] and a divine drawing [O, the Great Attractor].

That's pretty commonplace and experience-near, but here's where it gets a little more interesting:

the breakthrough is not simply a human endeavor; there is also a divine breakthrough or irruption into man, and there is no way that this can be predicted. It takes place where and in whom it will.

So there is the human (↑) into God or O; but this is necessarily complemented by the divine (↓) into man. Why necessarily? That's a largish subject, so at this point let's just posit it as a hypothesis and focus on the notion that God "irrupts" from time to time -- or timelessness to time -- in man. Is this even conceivable?

Wrong question. I would state it conversely: is it even conceivable that the human person isn't a vertically open system that receives and metabolizes divine energies? It only happens all the time (even if it happens quintessentially and fully only in the Incarnation).

Unless one closes oneself off from the divine energies, a pathological condition Voegelin describes in exquisite detail. The problem there is that once you've experienced it you need no further proof, and if you haven't experienced it, then no amount of proof is sufficient.

Here's another quote, selected more or less at random, or via lectio divina flippia:

The substance of philosophy is not to to be found in the philosopher's ideas but in the ascent that he enacts, in response to divine calling and grace.

But again, one can always deny the ascent and/or resist the pull. Free will. Or won't, rather. Closure against reality is always an option, but just know what you're not getting yourself into, okay?

The tension of longing may feel too painful; one may prefer an illusion of certainty to the challenge of epistemic existence in truth.... Where this willingness is lacking, one may avert one's gaze and seek refuge in opinions.

I still want to get to the Political Apocalypse. With any luck we can knock that one off the desk in the next post.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

>> The tension of longing may feel too painful; one may prefer an illusion of certainty to the challenge of epistemic existence in truth.... Where this willingness is lacking, one may avert one's gaze and seek refuge in opinions <<

I think one reason for the lack of willingness to pursue the spiritual challenge is that, due to the prevalence of such pursuits such as veganism, “Gaia”-oriented environmentalism, pop forms of witchcraft and meditation, “mindfulness”, etc., there are many who just assume that’s what a genuine spiritual path is. No ruffles, no negativity, no life and death struggle with that which doesn’t want you to awaken .... it’s the easy, painless way bc that’s what a spiritual path should be, in their view. I know a number of people whose lives are sodden with such things, and of course they’re leftists, “woke “ leftists. Even their using the term “woke” indicates they truly believe themselves spiritually quickened.

will

Anonymous said...

Why not make Christianity easy? If we make it hard, then the people being sinners and all, will try to find the easier path.

Anonymous said...

Hello Dr. Godwin.

Thank you for another splendid post to brighten the day.

You wrote: "I guess I don't mind writing every day, but who on earth wants to read me every day? Isn't that a little tedious?"

No, it is not in the least tedious; this reader will gladly read an installment daily. I'm sure there are others.

You are a lean, mean, entertaining machine...

You describe being a bit lost and amazed amongst the profusion of source materials and the need to write.

May I pro-offer a stock bit of advice. Make a reasonable list of objectives the evening prior. Upon awakening chant "Quiet the mind and do the list" to your reflection in the mirror. Then grab your list and go at it. If it isn't on the list, it should not cross your mind. Don't forget the coffee. Make it strong coffee.

This will center you up nicely.

Also, located in sidereal space near your amygdala is a small room. Go inside yourself. Open the door to this room. You will see a lock-box on top of a table. There will be a key. Open the lock box with the key. You will find a document. Read the document. These are your orders. Follow the orders without hesitation. You will find the results to be marvelous.

A new set of orders will be placed in this box weekly. You will be set.

These orders carry the stamp of God, they are missives to your eternal soul from Management. These are the things you were born for, the important things you should do. Don't miss out.

Take care, and I look forward to your post on the Political Apocalypse.

Anonymous said...

W, I am a woke leftist, into gaia, hemp, vegan, zen. You mean to say it all doesn't amount to much?

I kind of thought so too. I didn't want to say anything because I thought maybe it was just me. May it isn't just me. Something to think about.

I'm going to a drumming circle today. I actually think the drumming is kind of spiritual. I get into a trance from it.

I also do archery and I have had some really lifted moments doing that. I use a traditional long-box, not a compound bow. I can hold for upwards of 15 seconds. It is all about the breath.

What is woke anyway. My friends say that and I kind of know what they mean, but not exactly.

julie said...

The tension of longing may feel too painful; one may prefer an illusion of certainty to the challenge of epistemic existence in truth....

Will, that line stood out to me, as well. Seems like much of what is happening in the realm of the political right now is a struggle to make that tension of longing feel so painful that people just give up.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous 1 - if Christianity or any religion is easy, it wouldn’t be a genuine Path.

Anonymous 2 - I imagine that any alleged spiritual path that doesn’t involve a serious, patient inward questioning - a self-purging in effect - is in the end, fairly worthless. Self-insight is not easy and it’s a lifelong project. Not to sound too bumper-sticker, but “if you want to save the world, save yourself first.” Nowadays, it’s save the world first. For the obvious reasons, that’s a guaranteed fail.

Julie, that could be. Giving up tho just means numbness of spirit, I imagine. No escape at all.

W.

Anonymous said...

One thing I’m sure that marks a pop-spirituality as basically worthless is if it demands that you that you can never feel a negative emotion about anything, ever. That is emphatically NOT genuine spirituality. All people naturally have negative emotions and feelings - the trick is to have negative emotions, and yes, feelings of hatred, *honestly*, and this can be done only through real self- insight, and that requires real work.

No telling what psychological damage people have done to themselves by trying to repress their negative emotions. Certainly those of the Left who do so merely project their repressed negativities onto those they are told are “fascists” - then that repressed negativity really explodes.

w.

Anonymous said...

Black Baptists liven things up with a dance-bumpin choir and brimstone preachin. Superchurches liven things up with live bands, lasers and special events. It's the city neighborhood denominational churches that are in decline.

But this comment is about the economic and cultural times.

Trump has the lowest approval ratings, over his first 3 years in office, for any president since before FDR.

But then, Obama had the next least approval, followed by Clinton. W. Bush’s ratings were pretty good, owing mostly to his handling of national security in the post-911 era.

It seems that the trend is that peoples economic and cultural lives are becoming progressively worse, and they blame the President. Is the cause progressivism or conservative austerity? Well, things were pretty conservative during the Reagan-H.W.Bush years and those guys polled relatively well. But things were pretty progressive during the Eisenhower-Kennedy years and they also polled relatively well.

Anonymous said...

We can blame China and the virus they unleashed on the world for the economic decline. As for recent cultural decline, if you mean riots, blame the entire totalitarian leftist apparatus that encourages it,

w.

Anonymous said...

It is said he that He who speaks powerfully the word of God, and spells it out clearly for others, is nothing if he does not have love.

We ask ourselves:

Do I love blacks?
Do I love even the blacks who promote the BLM movement, those who wear their pants down low, those who resist arrest?

Do I love whites?
Do I love evem the whites who are communists, who are boogaloo bois, who are supremacists?

Do I love gays?
Do I love gays even the gays who want to get married, who kiss each other in public, who march in Pride parades?

Do I love Asians?
Do I love even the Chinese, the smart Asian who makes more money than us, the Asian vixens who seduce our mates?

Do I love myself? Do I love myself even when I fail, when I say something stupid, when I make mistakes, when I am vindictive, when I am evil?

Please contemplate these questions. God is all, and God is love. All is love. All is God. Love is all.

Thank you.

Daisy said...

Bless your heart!

Anonymous said...

Speaking of loving Gods creatures, it was the Europeans and not the Chinese who first unleashed the Limax Maximus. Don't let anybody try to tell you different.

Maxiumus was first documented by Pliny the Elder, friend of the Emperor Vespasian. It has a leopard coloration befitting its vicious predatory nature. It will hunt down other slugs reaching top speeds of nearly .006 miles per hour. But do know that it is a major agricultural pest. After admiring it's coloration, it is best stomped into the ground or collected into paper bags to be launched towards a disagreeable neighbors house.

As for China and the virus they've unleashed, I don't personally mind me a good dragon lady, or two, especially if they're tolerable drivers and will do things to me that other twins cannot. I can also love blacks as long as they don’t get all uppity and they help my team win the game especially against the dour foulness of the evil Bill Belichick.

But these are conditional things. Since we're made in his image, is God's love also not conditional?

Anonymous said...

So I just looked up Belichicks girlfriend. She appears far younger than him, and is an attractive blonde, buxom yet trim. She even looks happy in their pictures together. It’d be like Claudia Schiffer dating Darth Vader. I mean, what the hell is wrong with people?

Enough to make a bishop want to kick out a stained glass window. Except for maybe in Boston I suppose.

Anonymous said...

Please don't stomp the Limax Maximus. Love the Limax Maximus.

But, don't eat it and don't throw it at people. It can hurt humans.

Limax Maximus is exploited by a number of parasites including the white slug mite. Life is not easy for them.

Mating of the hermaphroditic Limax Maximus is conducted hanging upside down with another Limax on a mucus thread. The Limax Maximus has a very long penis.

The question to ask yourself is, do I love the Limax Maximus? Even if it eats my garden lettuce?

Anonymous said...

I've never trusted animals that are mostly penis. Did you know that the tapir has a prehensile penis? When I found that out I very nearly turned atheist. Be a pretty sick god who'd create an animal with a prehensile penis. And then to make his last righteous family live on an ark with such a thing for over a year... I bet it was Ham that Noah sent down to take care of it. Ham was of course, the negro of the family. I sometimes confuse him with Shemp, the one who took over when Curly got sick.

Cousin Dupree said...

I thought Fox fired Shemp last year.

Anonymous said...

We used to watch the Three Stooges daily when we were kids.

Once me, my brother, and our friend Raymond cut grade school and went down to the Cement Ship in Seacliff Beach, California, near Santa Cruz. As we were leaving we saw three men coming towards us on to the pier. We did not look at them closely.

As we were walking by, one said "Why aren't you kids in school?" He sounded annoyed. We looked over in shock. We recognized Moe Howard, Larry Fine, and Joe De-Rita ("Curly Joe"). Moe appeared slightly angry. We were intimidated, but Raymond had the pluck to ask Moe if Shemp was around. Moe answered "Gwan, you kids get outta here."

We left at once because we were afraid of being reported to a "truant officer." It was a surreal moment.

And then there is Curly Howard to consider. Nyuk nyuk nyuk. Woob woob woob woob. Soitenly.

Say there Gagdad are we getting out new post today? Didn't you say you were going to post daily? What's the big idea of missing the Sunday edition?

julie said...

Today's schadenfreud. The response from the "management" is priceless.

This is the world they would have us all living in...

Pat Santy said...

Retirement finally gave me the time to pursue my theological studies and to write a book based on my own return to faith. If I'm lucky, I'll never have to do any psychiatry again.

Van Harvey said...

"...But now I have to rethink that, because it is by no means self-evident that more free time equates to more containment of the Mystery, or taming of the bucking cosmos. No, it only aggravates the Mystery in an exponential way..."

I cooncur.

Theme Song

Theme Song