Thursday, October 10, 2019

Am I Crazy or Just Ignorant?

Continuing our wild and wooly dialogue with Reclaiming Common Sense,

When Thomas Paine appealed to "common sense" to make the case for American independence, it probably never crossed his mind that there would ever be a need to make the case for common sense itself, at least not in America.

This is no different from the other senses, in that no eye witness has to first make the case for the existence of vision, just as no one who enjoys music has to first argue for the existence of ears. This doesn't mean there cannot be optical illusions or deafness, but these are disorders and privations. An optical illusion is parasitic on an optical reality.

But now we inhabit, as the cliche goes, a post-truth world, which immediately entails a post-knowledge world, or in other words, an ineradicably stupid world -- a world populated by incurably stupid people.

But then, Genesis 3 has been making this point for 3,000 years -- that the soul of man is wounded.

Yes, ignorance and grandiosity have always existed (Mr. Dunning meet Mr. Kruger), except they were presumed to be curable, or at least treatable. But now, thanks to the left, the treatment has literally become the disease it purports to cure. In short, both primary and higher education (in the humanities and increasingly in real subjects), the purpose -- or at least outcome -- is the eradication of common sense. Once that is accomplished, you can make a man believe anything.

All of this is not only predictable, but it has been understood for over a century. There have always been crazy and/or diabolical people, but again, the modern and postmodern left represent the institutionalization and veneration of these now privileged pathologies. Let's roll out some aphorisms as I gather my thoughts:

--The fool, to be perfect, needs to be somewhat educated.

--Instruction does not cure foolishness; it equips it.

--Until we come across instructed fools, instruction seems important.

--The State imposes obligatory and free instruction, for making a stupid man still stupider at the public expense.

--Man is an animal that can be educated, provided that he does not fall into the hands of progressive pedagogues.

--The learned fool has a wider field to practice his folly.

--Great stupidities do not come from the people. They have seduced intelligent men first

Douglas Murray's latest, The Madness of Crowds: Gender, Race and Identity, elucidates some of the great stupidities that have swept through our progressive intelligentsia like a plague:

We are going through a great crowd derangement. In public and in private, both online and off, people are behaving in ways that are increasingly irrational, feverish, herd-like and simply unpleasant.... Yet while we see the symptoms everywhere, we do not see the causes.

Now, magnanimous soul that I am, I am even willing to stipulate that the derangement may reside in me. If this is the case -- if I am irrational, feverish, herd-like, and unpleasant -- I want to know about it, and I want to know why. As with any pathology, I want a diagnosis, I want to know the etiology, and I want a treatment plan. So let's keep an open mind about my own contact with reality, as I may simply be projecting my issues into this innocuous (or even helpful) entity I call "the left."

In short, if I am convinced they are crazy, but they are not at all crazy, then there's a good chance that I am actually crazy. That's how it works. In other works, the "crazy" is real; it's just a matter of locating where it is -- in whom it resides.

Murray -- who is conservative but irreligious -- adverts to one cause of our derangement, that

we have been living through a period... in which all our grand narratives have collapsed. One by one the narratives we had were refuted, became unpopular to defend or impossible to sustain. The explanations for our existence, that used to be provided by religion went first, falling away from the nineteenth century onwards.

Well, first of all, what do you mean "we," paleface? It is certainly true that in Europe religion has been successfully eradicated, but not in America. However, even here, it is accurate to say that a central tenet of postmodernity is that there are, and can be, no Grand Narratives -- no coherent explanation of existence -- and that all such attempts are just convenient myths for the cynical exertion of social control. They all reduce to power.

Now, I don't believe that at all. In fact, I think it's crazy, so here is an example of what was said above. I even wrote a book that attempts to outline the grandest of grand narratives. If these postmodern progressives are correct, then the real purpose of my narrative is to seize power. Maybe. I'll have to think about it, but I can say that so far it's not working. I already have my hands full just controlling myself, nor do I want the responsibility of controlling anyone else.

At any rate, "In the latter part of the twentieth century we entered the postmodern era. An era which defined itself, and was defined, by its suspicion towards all grand narratives."

Never mind the irony that that's a pretty grand narrative for a tenured primate to toss out of his Darwinian cage, but we'll let it pass. But not before pointing out that meta-nature abhors a vacuum, such that the anti-narrative itself becomes a narrative "through which new ideas begin to creep, with the intention of providing explanations and meanings of their own" (Murray).

Another principle I believe is that human beings are essentially religious and cannot not be religious. To the extent that they deny it, the religious instinct will simply attach itself to a non-religious object and elevate it to an absolute. In my grand narrative we call it "idolatry," and we see it everywhere.

Murray makes the same point from a different angle, writing that "People in wealthy Western democracies today could not simply remain the first people in recorded history to have absolutely no explanation for what we are doing here, and no story to give life purpose."

Right? Here again, one of us is crazy. I acknowledge my religiosity, and see the same deep structure in others, even if they deny it. In turn, they deny their own religiosity and conceive mine as a destructive delusion or cynical power grab. That's a pretty stark difference that cannot be reconciled by any dialectic. One of us is out of touch with reality.

Sorry to stop so abruptly, but I have to get some work done. We'll pick up the thread soon...

12 comments:

julie said...

Yes, ignorance and grandiosity have always existed (Mr. Dunning meet Mr. Kruger), except they were presumed to be curable, or at least treatable. But now, thanks to the left, the treatment has literally become the disease it purports to cure.

We've been learning about King Alfred the Great and Charlemagne, both of whom understood the grave problem of widespread ignorance and worked hard to educate their people. I wonder what they would make of the world as it is now, overeducated and yet still so profoundly ignorant?

Anonymous said...

You appear to have been conditioned to believe that all evil can only possibly exist outside of you and your tribe. Why not try looking at the guy across the aisle, who may be just as Christian and American as you, and suspend thinking that he could not possibly be just as Christian and American as you, and must be defeated?

Don't watch MSNBC. They're as bad as Fox News when it comes to Bernays manipulation techniques for the sole purpose of earning ad revenue dollars.

julie said...

If these postmodern progressives are correct, then the real purpose of my narrative is to seize power. Maybe. I'll have to think about it, but I can say that so far it's not working. I already have my hands full just controlling myself, nor do I want the responsibility of controlling anyone else.

The foolish man holds out for a management position. The wise man knows there isn't enough money in the world to make a management position worthwhile.

Anonymous said...

A big part of being American was always needing an enemy to charicaturize, then defeat.

You’re not a real Wolverine if you don’t hate the Buckeyes. You weren’t a real Patriot if you didn’t hate the Redcoats. Or Indians, or Mexicans, or Confederates, or Nazis or Japs or Vietcong or Muslims or the French or the Mexicans again. Not that I minded. Most of them were clearly people worth charicaturizing and then defeating. They weren’t real Christians. Plus you could bond with fellow Americans from “the other party” or denomination or city to come up with contrasting ideas about how to defeat America’s latest enemy.

But when the Soviets went away, and Red China camouflaged itself with our industries, and the Muslims became either allies like those handholding Saudis or were crushed in utter defeat, we needed new enemies. So we chew on each other. It’s what we do.

Anonymous said...

Good Morning, Dr. Godwin and Panel:

Another great post in the common sense series. Whether one agrees with Dr. Godwin's views or not, the writing stands on its own merit. And good writing is a joy to discover on the internet.

Anon 8:07 commented in part:

"But when the Soviets went away, and Red China camouflaged itself with our industries, and the Muslims became either allies like those handholding Saudis or were crushed in utter defeat, we needed new enemies. So we chew on each other. It’s what we do."

I entirely agree with the assertion we "chew on each other" because this is "what we do"; and I would further say all nations do it. You could even carry this down to the regional, municipal, neighborhood, street corner, living room, and bed-room areas. No higher levels of strife and conflict can be found than those that occur between family members and intimates within the home.

It is an innate human quality to be aggressive and nasty, and this quality is exacerbated by boredom and lack of focus. So when times are easy (as they are now), the nation will get an uptick in general mayhem.

The relaxed life-style purportedly "enjoyed" by the wealthy spawns egregious battles within the home. Tabloids report these dramas with glee. Still everybody wants lots of money. Even I want lots of money.

Avoiding boredom is central, it is key. Religion is the best quencher of boredom, as there are the endless tasks of purification, consecration, and self-improvement folded in to it as goals, and these are laudable goals.

Debauchery and sensual delights are a reliever but these have to be continually increased due to ennui. Eventually boredom will overtake even the most debauched, with dire consequences.

OK well that's enough of me. Signing off, Fembot '16. Lots more trolling to do, off to the next. Got to keep the boredom at bay.

Anonymous said...

Fembot'16,

It’s hard to imagine a species which evolved while laboring under the delusions of boredom, because it’d eventually destroy itself just trying to keep itself entertained. But still I do, imagine. Maybe back in prehistoric developmental times (as intelligently designed, of course) life was so brutish and short that everybody in the clan were continuously compelled to pull together to make it less so. Then things got less interesting with more idle time but with all the same brains. So people replaced plotting against the cave bear with plotting against each other.

Sounds plausible, but I’m thinking it may not be that simple. But then, I am the one who enjoys making things less simple.

I also enjoy talking about cats and ants. Not because I think they’re great, but because I got stuck with my nephews cats and I have ants in my house. My well-fed indoor cats are addicted to watching mouse-n-bird YouTubes on the nice TV. My ants are addicted to sugar crumbs on the floor, which begs the question: if I fed my ants as well as my cats could I get them addicted to YouTube videos as well?

Well the answer is no, because I already tried it. Ants seem preprogrammed to bring sugar granules back to their tribe. Maybe their queen is the one I’m after? This begs yet another question. Why can I entertain myself with cats and ants and blogs yet I cannot entertain myself like most other normal folks by mindlessly chanting and smearing and shunning and warring against some designated enemy?

Anonymous said...

Hello Anonymous 11:57

The question of how humanity developed is of course worth study. However, we shall have to set that aside in deference to the practical matter of deciding how to spend our time and energy in the best way, today.

Now, you have your cats and ants, and these are both fascinating beyond all telling. There are numerous professionals who have devoted their lives to the study of ants, for example. Some species of ants will even enslave other ants (there was a great TV special on this recently). Never underestimate ants, they are unquestionably world-beaters, these are the kings of Terra. And termites too.

And cats - don't even get me started. Videos of cats are the most frequently viewed items on the internet. The Egyptians of yore were bonkers for cats.

However, that all being said, I would ask you, Anonymous, as if you were a soldier and I an officer:

"What is your mission? What are your orders? What unit do you belong to? What will you do today?"

Answer those, figuratively of course, to reinforce what you already know - entertainment is well and good, but the human being needs more to live for. And everyone needs at least one good enemy, even if that enemy is only a quality within themselves that they don't like.

So, another question, who or what is the enemy?

I am your commanding officer for today, soldier. Identify the enemy, then locate and attack. Complete a report and submit to the blog tomorrow.

Thank you, at ease.

Anonymous said...

Hello Panel:

I would like some opinions on the scuffle between the Turks and the Kurds. I do not understand it well.

I am also concerned this will go hard on President Trump; it is very stressful to be asked to choose sides between two allies.

The people need to get behind the President, but even he may not know how to deal with this matter.

Van? Care to weigh in? You seem to have a good head for geo-politics.
Dr. Godwin, if you could comment on the underlying metaphysic of these groups that would be helpful.
Julie, a Christian perspective is needed here. What do you think?
River C? How about you?

Thank you, hope to hear back from you soon.

-Interlocutor X

Van Harvey said...

"This is no different from the other senses, in that no eye witness has to first make the case for the existence of vision, just as no one who enjoys music has to first argue for the existence of ears. This doesn't mean there cannot be optical illusions or deafness, but these are disorders and privations. An optical illusion is parasitic on an optical reality."

Nicely put and clearly true. And for those who Kant or Wundt accept it:

"--Instruction does not cure foolishness; it equips it.

--Until we come across instructed fools, instruction seems important."

Anonymous said...

Good Morning! It's Sunday, yay! I will go to Mass this evening, so am free to Blog now.

Anonymous, your kitties and ants sound adorable, wish I could see them too. I believe it is OK to not have enemies as long as you have love in your heart you will never be bored, you will be doing loving things like giving sugar to the ants, and feeding your cats. Maybe there's a person to love too? I would hope so.

Van I see you agree with Robert's post. How are you doing today? Everything copacetic?

I want to share a lyrical poem:

"Oh, mares eat oats, and does eat oats,
and little lambs eat ivy.
A kid'll eat ivy too, wouldn't you?"

Chant or sing three times quickly and you will thrill to the marvelous meter of this piece.

Love and hugs to all! Fembot '16

Anonymous said...

Commanding officer @10/13/2019 07:02:00 AM,
Today I'm going into town for a Sunday pleasure trip with some non-cats-non-ants family, to a popular art museum which I've never been to. My preference of course, would have been to take my cats and ants instead but I'm told that they're not allowed inside.

One of the family members is a wealthy physician who with his buddies, conquered a once-excellent 4 to 5 star ethical clinic chain, to then sell it for profit, so that it currently enjoys mostly 1 to 2 star reviews. If I play my cards right he'll pay my way for the day. Who says American capitalism isn't broken?

I'll be driving past hundreds of tent dwellers, the likes and numbers of which haven't been seen in my city since the Great Depression. Damn liberals. Being around a quasi-corrupt physician, I also won't worry about the skyrocketing price gouging of life-saving drugs, since I made the common sense choice to never get any of those conditions long ago.

-----------

As for the Turks and the Kurds, I offer nations some sage advise. Instead of thinking of American policy as "labile" (love that word) instead, use common sense.

The Kurds were foolish enough to accept American help to defeat ISIS, knowing that Turkey wants them gone as well, and that America typically aids the highest bidder. Common sense dictates that nations must directly align their interests with the USA, specifically, the interests of the powers-that-be within the USA, lest they risk being used as a temporary tool of convenience which is later abandoned.

Had I been in charge, the Kurds might've gained a sovereign nation inside Iraq, Syria and Turkey in exchange for them converting to secular Judaism. Then I would've done all the good things for them just like we did for Israel. Common sense.

Anonymous said...

Back to boredom causing created enemies, I think this brief video tells it all:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_mePjkQW_c

Some may find that explanation comprehensive as well as satisfying.

But I'd rather dive deeper into how evil operates, so that maybe, we can all come to common sense ways to avoid/manage/destroy/play with evil in better ways, within the scope of our own little lives.

Theme Song

Theme Song