Sunday, June 18, 2023

Lookin' Under God's Hood

Way up at the toppermyst of the vertical flowchart there is Absolute reality, Infinite possibility, and Perfect quality. If that's the case, then what are we doing here? How did we get here?

Easy: Infinitude "projects the Principle into Relativity, and thus produces the metacosmic 'space,'" or what we've been calling the vertical flowchart. 

Being that there is no relativity "prior" to the projection (since it must be coeternal), I suppose we could say that relativity is this projection (and vice versa). To paraphrase el Grande Aphoristo, this creative projection is the nexus between time and eternity.

But there are two ways of looking at it, from our perspective and from God's perspective -- the latter only being a "perspective" by way of analogy, since it excludes nothing, in the same way a sphere contains every possible circle.  

Beginning with God's POV, Schuon describes it thus:

The Absolute is infinite; therefore it radiates, and in radiating it projects itself; the content of this projection being the Good.... This is the very foundation of what Christian doctrine terms the Hypostases.

Oh? Say more. 

In projecting the Absolute, Infinitude "thus produces the image," this being the Logos; it is like a "refraction of the Light which is in itself undivided." 

The Absolute is necessary being, AKA that which must be and cannot not be

However, its first and intrinsic entailment is Infinitude, and this is where we come in: we always partake of both, since we exist (which is to say, participate in Absolute Being), but always "more or less," since there is the potential that is the shadow of our participation in Infinitude; and "progress" is movement toward the Good, or a round trip back to Perfection. At any rate, it's a trip. 

In this way we are analogous to God, in that we too are made of Absoluteness and Infinitude. I suppose we could reason up from this existential fact to the Principle, or from the Principle down to us. Either way, at least it gives us a way to think about our situation. Or something to argue about.

But our predicament is a bit more complex than this bipolarity suggests, since there are degrees of being, like concentric circles around an infinite point. 

Again, there is the material world that answers to our senses, and the formal to which the mind is an adequation. 

The latter is immaterial -- for example, the concept of a circle, a tree, or a dog. Every material tree we will ever encounter is unique, and yet, we spontaneously discern the subtle concept beneath the gross matter perceived by the senses.

Which means that the world is "transparent" or "translucent," or something, for every form is like a window into the essence. 

Imagine what the world would be like in the absence of this interiority. You can't, because you would have to eliminate the interiority at both ends, i.e., intelligibility and intelligence, the two being mirror reflections of one another. Such a cosmos is literally inconceivable. Especially for God, who is the very principle of Intelligence.

Here you can appreciate all the trouble Kant -- and prior to him, nominalism -- landed us in, because he collapses the world of intelligibility and form into the ego, as if the world is just a projection of our own concepts, instead of a discernment of these immaterial forms in extra-mental reality.

And now it occurs to me that Kant's conceptualization only confuses man with God, for it is God -- as outlined above -- who projects and radiates ideas, forms, and archetypes into the world, not us (pathological projection notwithstanding, but that's a different post). 

Rather, the forms were all here before we arrived on the scene, and will still exist after we're gone. 2 + 2 will always = 4, and more generally, truth will always be true irrespective of whether anyone believes it. More generally, Being is intelligible, and that's my final answer.

Are there people who think there were no laws of physics before the emergence of man? Probably, since there is no idea so stupid that it hasn't been promulgated by some tenured primate. 

A more interesting question is whether the cosmos was beautiful before we got here. I say yes, because I'm just not that creative, except maybe in my dreams. I also say it was good, but of course, God said that before I did.

Oh, I guess there will be no post tomorrow, since they tell me there will be no electricity from 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM.

Speaking of which, I don't know if you heard it here first, but Brandon won't make it to 2024 for one reason or another (i.e., health or scandal), so get ready for President Newsom. He'll save the world, one blackout at a time.

11 comments:

julie said...

They're already starting the blackouts where you are? That's crazy. They can't blame the air conditioners yet, I wonder what the excuse is? Global warming not warming enough? Or perhaps it's just a Juneteenth celebration of some kind.

Happy Father's Day to Bob and all the paternal raccoons out there! (As though fatherhood can be limited to one particular day a year; considering how much fathers are in short supply these days, though, it is good to acknowledge their importance).

Anonymous said...

The global political policy excepting Islam of Satanic expression is the cause of global warming and should the CO2 fix happen another natural route of delivery will be enabled. The 'Image of the beast' is a bearded man.

Anonymous said...

A bearded man is only the 'Image of the beast' when he's grown his facial hair as a result of the influence of the current Satanic expression.

Oriental Jazzman said...

It is a surprisingly unknown disc, but it tastes pretty good. It is playing firmly. It's really a dark jacket. I think there is no woman in the world who is attracted to this jacket and buy it. I prefer darker, more cheerful jackets than most bright and cheerful jackets on the West Coast, but this is a little bit.

Aside from the story of the jacket, the content is really a great hardbop. When I hear this, yeah, after all, one piece I think jazz is good, but his piano in these small combos is also shining. excitement · rain · · · · excitement · · · · · excitement

julie said...

Jazzman clearly hasn't heard about emo girls or dark triad guys...

ted said...

I think these oriental jazzman quotes should be a coffee table book. I would buy it!

Oriental Jazzman said...

I'm quite the opposite... Actually, I'm leaving only this one of McCoy's leader's works. I don't understand what I want to do after this work is clear (laughs), but in the sixty-seven years when Coltrane died and Miles electrified, here McCoy is in the middle of the fastball game.

I think the significance of doing acoustic jazz is great, but I don't understand McCoy later. Is it good in the three-piece set of johen's “inner age” “in and out”? I think today it is around this time. I don't understand the difficult theory, but I like it and listen to it very well. I can listen to it by narrowing down the volume.(Hohonosuke)

It's been more than a decade listening to the Jusz, but the McKy Tiner has always been recognized as the golden jamba of the Coltrain's Baking, but in fact, the 60's Colltrain of the time he was in. Would you be angry if you say you don't like that?If you say a Coltrain, it's a “Bur train”, but if you're a Coldtrain in the era when there were macky tiners and pressing the “Supreme Love” (premiere), but the “Supreme Love” is the Canvin...

Oriental Jazzman said...

cont.

By the way, I'm an amateur dwarama, so I have a strong commitment to the dwaramer, but I don't like that in the Coltrain. In the feeling that they are building walls with a sound of tamble without intertwining regardless of each other. What I like in the game is the “spur no eve” of the game shoot or the “night of the game” of the Lorins.

Speaking of that, which is a Brunod? So, first of all, it is good that the sound became better at each stage with the BROOD subscription, and that the vials that have been accumulated from under the control of the giant KARIMA are exploding. The entanglement of the litham team and the piano is exquisite, and the songs are also diamondai in the myro. The strength of Tekku and the improvement of the sound quality of each stage is synergistic. Jonof the seat is a favorite prayer who co-starred well with my favorite library, but I hear the tenna of the Cordrane, but sound and play than Coldrane.

With refracted access, distorted aggressive sadder contrasts with beautiful paano.And this is the perfect piece of the whole part of the play and the bends, but it is the best music that is now and that is the perfect blend of technology, aggressiveness and beauty. If it is modern, it would be more modern than the key jacks or chick kolia bends.

Along with several works around the “maiden voyage” of the “maiden voyage” of the Pah-pankokk, he showed an ideal Pahano-reda production.Every song is a game that is fully kicked at the “Stage”.If you enter the erotic, everyone will be at the same time, there will be a TV, a bus, a new mainstream ~ 70's program leads to the prey to go to the fryI understand the train and the right answer!Feeling that. But if you say this, you will be offended, but the two big heads of the 60s jars, the mies and the coldlines, which are certainly good (and there are works), but personally, those there are many works that I like much more if I make erotic works by Bend's Janpa separately. It's like the Win Shoter, the Fade Bar, the New Crystal, the Bar, the Panco, the Bang Buri, and the Macky Tiner. Both the Miles and the Coltrain are too much and bound by various sense of mission, but the participation participants are far away from there and out with free ideas is much better. I could even be jaunas. The big guy is no longer going out in the medium and medium radio, but the newcomers and big bond players let me out freely, and the sound quality is better than any of the jarables. Well, I'm a Brunod.

This era is an exciting time when Alfred Raian is no longer away or away, but the best recording technology of Lede. Right now, I'm writing while listening, and while the Dram of the Rugin just before the third song, the sound of the Shingle and the power of the Badura also shakes the heavens and the earth. The fourth track is replaced, and it is numb again with the moist entanglement of BRAJI and PAAANOS. The best. Even though it is not funny without conspicuous in the play of other members, the base of Roncarter is cuddling presence pat.

Oh, cool!
I'm glad I bought it! (^_^) v

Gagdad Bob said...

Move over James Joyce.

Anonymous said...

The world isn’t a projection of our own concepts, but “our world” sure as hell is. We all remember Morpheus’ speech to Neo about the nature of reality: “What is real? How do you define real?”

Glad you asked. This is how I define “real”. It's that place where right wingers talk up red pills and blue pills, mostly because they’re trying to deflect away from the fact that “red” used to mean “commie”, while being completely oblivious to the fact that the men who invented that concept now believe themselves to be women.

And then the old yiddish men exclaim: "Oy veh!"

Anonymous said...

Oriental Jazzman,

Once upon a time I’d been known to exclaim, “We need more oriental jazzmen!” from time to time. Observers assumed it to be Tourette’s since I’d exclaim it randomly and without any obvious provocation. I’d then always have to explain that this thing had been weighing heavily on my mind for quite some time.

Then one day, I met an Indian jazzman. Now some may say “close enough for government work”, but this worked well for me.

This is his story (as told to me). He told me of going to work in New Orleans, having previously never been outside of Bangalore. “For one year” he sadly exclaimed “I would go to work and then go home to my apartment and I would wonder to myself ‘What am I doing here? Why do I do this?’ Then somebody told me to go to the French Quarter. And so one day I went to the French Quarter. Then for seven years every single day after work I went to the French Quarter. It changed my life. Today jazz music is the only music I know.”

He told me this when I revealed my road trip would include a few days in NOLA. Turns out he knew Chef K-Paul, and I got special treatment at his restaurant. True story. Ever since, I’ve had a soft spot in my heart for oriental jazzmen (or close enough).

Theme Song

Theme Song