Thursday, October 06, 2022

Stupid Ways to be Intelligent, Part One of an Infinite Series

Well, this is ironic: you don’t have to believe in angels to know that 

There is no skepticism among the angels; the skeptical doubt that the human intellect cannot really live with cannot even be faked by the angelic intellect. Regardless of the state of his will, an angel can no more feign doubt about the object-thing than the skeptic can feign doubt about the object-phenomenon…
Try as we might, we can’t really know what it is like to be another kind of intelligence, from angelic or celestial above to bovine or progressive below. There are hints, clues, and analogies, but human is human, and it doesn't get worse than that, nor can we exit our own nature (without divine assistance, but that's a different subject).

Having said that, intelligent beings of various stations do share a common element: intelligence. It’s just that intelligence has different forms, and to say form is to say limit. Only in God are intelligence-and-intelligible one, or rather, not-two. This is irrespective of whether one “believes” in God, for truth is that which is true even when we stop believing in it, precisely.

We all know of politicians and even human beings who are more animal than human. And yet, not only are they human, they are all too human. Their intelligence exhibits such traits as cunning, deceit, hiding, lying in wait, and self-preservation. 

And if you’re lucky, you have encountered a person or two with seemingly quasi-angelic intelligence, that is, an intelligence that “sees” directly into essences, as if there is no mediation between it and the intellect. 

Schuon comes to mind. Of course, this is not to imply that he was infallible, which would be absurd. But he did see metaphysics with a clarity that for most people would take a lifetime to attain, if at all — just as you could devote your life to being Michael Jordan, or Mike Trout, or Michelangelo, and reach an inevitable ceiling well before attaining the goal.

Back to what intelligence is. Soon we will be discussing this in tedious detail — when we get to Lonergan’s Insight — but one thing we can say about human intelligence, to paraphrase Steve Earle, is that it ain’t ever satisfied. This is very much in contrast to animals, but also to human beings who are indeed too easily satisfied, and arbitrarily stop asking Why

To a certain extent this failure is excusable, since most people do have to get on with it, and have neither the time nor the aptitude anyway. 

Indeed, one of the causes of our current Existential Crisis is hordes of college-indoctrinated and puffy pridelings with zero aptitude for higher things, i.e., the objects of a proper liberal education. That would be beyond their capabilities, which is why academia must devote whole departments to Studies of the Unreal. 

One would think that a degree in Unreality Studies would be easy, and it is, so long as one is confined to an unreal environment. In our day, the most unreal environments are academia, journalism, and politics, which is precisely why these fields attract the kinds of infrahuman intelligences alluded to above.

Thursdays are take-the-boy-to-school days, so I am almost out of time, but human intelligence is characterized by the pure and unrestricted desire to know. And like anything else in the world, it has its sufficient reason, nor is it in vain.

We'll continue this discussion tomorrow, unless too distracted by the baseball playoffs. Meanwhile, even disordered people can be accomplished artists, or we'd have far less art.
Last night I dreamed I made it to the promise land
I was standin' at the gate and I had the key in my hand
Saint Peter said "Come on in boy, you're finally home"
I said "No thanks Pete, I'll just be moving along"

Woh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh
I ain't ever satisfied

27 comments:

Gagdad Bob said...

Musically a pretty bleak decade but with some highlights such as Stevie Ray Vaughan, the early IRS albums of REM, or the English Beat. Come to think of it, that was the decade I began exploring music from prior to Elvis and outside rock.

ted said...

I'd give a nod to the Talking Heads, Pixies, Smiths, and Prince during that time. Actually I got heavily into music late 70's/early 80's and there is something about the imprint that gets left with the music in the zeitgeist when first exposed. Of course, I think today there were better eras, and I like to sometimes fantasize myself living during those periods. Just got Louie Armstrong's autobio, and thinking of being in New Orleans in the early 1900's.

Gagdad Bob said...

I think of the Pixies as '90s and the Talking Heads as '70s.

There are a couple of really good biographies of Armstrong by Teachout and Bergreen, but you can't beat his idiosyncratic style of expression, which is musical in itself: jazz writing before Kerouac.

Gagdad Bob said...

Now that I'm thinking about it, one of my favorite albums from the '80s is Fisherman's Blues by the Waterboys. Also, Van Morrison did some of his greatest work that decade, although he's not an '80s artist.

Gagdad Bob said...

Throw in Graceland and Rhythm of the Saints by Paul Simon, another "legacy artist."

Gagdad Bob said...

Long Ryders.

Gagdad Bob said...

Dwight Yoakam.

Gagdad Bob said...

Marshall Crenshaw.

John Venlet said...

If you're looking for a compilation of many jazz writers, may I suggest "Moment's Notice: Jazz in Poetry and Prose," which has been touted as the "jazz anthology to end all jazz anthologies." Received a copy for my 40th birthday, and I still enjoy opening it up to a random page, from time to time, to jazz up the day.

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=31294483044&searchurl=ds%3D20%26kn%3Dmoment%2527s%2Bnotice%2Bjazz%2Bin%2Bpoetry%2Band%2Bprose%26sortby%3D17&cm_sp=snippet-_-srp1-_-title1

Dougman said...

You gotta throw in some head banging metal to help get ya through those twelve hour overnight shifts.
Maybe some Grass Roots and Three Dog Night to sit back and relax to.
Some Adam Calhoun and Tom McDonald with their country rap to put a fire under yer a$$.

Man, I could go on and on....

BJ Thomas, Elvis of course,...

So much great music and musicians
And so little time to absorb it.

Gagdad Bob said...

The Grass Roots and Three Dog Night are interesting cases, because they fell in the crack between Top 30 and the beginning of FM. They ended up being great top 30 artists that weren't cool enough for FM play. Creedence was also looked down upon for the same reason.

Gagdad Bob said...

When I need it loud, my go-to is... let's see, Bon era AC/DC, early Clash, Ramones, Pixies, Jesus & Mary Chain....

Dougman said...

You’ve piqued my interest with The Jesus and Mary Chain.
I’m listening to the ‘’Honey’s dead’’album on YouTube now.
I like the drummer, from what I’ve heard so far.
The guitars are ‘’ringing’’ too much for my liking. I need that crunch.

Gagdad Bob said...

Definitely try Automatic. Some of their stuff is too noisy, or rather, the noise is too shrill.

Gagdad Bob said...

By which I mean the album Automatic by Jesus & Mary Chain.

Dougman said...

Putting it on now.

Do you ever pick up your bass anymore?
I just bought a Flying V bass from Hardluck Kings guitar makers.
Acoustic bass amp, and wouldn’t you know it, it didn’t come with a power cord.

Gagdad Bob said...

Very rarely do I pick up the bass. Which I could barely play anyway, just infinite variations of 1-4-5. As Lou Reed said, one chord is perfect, two is pushing it, and three is jazz.

Gagdad Bob said...

Speaking of whom, Lou Reed was a big influence on Jesus & Mary Chain.

Dougman said...

This ‘’Automatic’’ album is much better. The vocals are stronger too.
I like it.

Gagdad Bob said...

Crankable.

Gagdad Bob said...

Although it sounds loud even when it isn't.

ted said...

Thinking of the Waterboys, while it's not off the album you mention, I think this song may be one of the most epic songs of the 1980's. It still feels fresh today.

Gagdad Bob said...

Great song. I had thought Fisherman's Blues was a one-off, but now I see it encompasses a whole era with number of albums I'm going to have to check out. Curse you!

Gagdad Bob said...

Just ordered a deluxe edition of This is the Sea with a bonus disc of additional material. All sounds great to my ears.

ted said...

Nice! Underrated band. I think Karl Wallinger's side project World Party had more commercial success in the US.

Gagdad Bob said...

I've been exploring their catalogue all morning, and also ordered this collection of mostly live material plus demos & jams from the Fisherman's Blues era band. Collecting. It's a real sickness.

Gagdad Bob said...

Although it's surprising how well I do on ebay, reselling what I don't keep, often at a profit, so at this point I probably make more than I spend.

At least that's what I tell the wife.

Theme Song

Theme Song