Monday, April 06, 2020

I May Be Boring, But I'm Not Bored

Someone needs to write a history of boredom. Perhaps someone has. Let's do some quick research.

The only thing that comes up on amazon is Boredom: A Lively History, which has only 3.5 stars from 15 reviewers. I'll bet right now that more than one reviewer will call the book "boring."

1. Toohey teaches boredom by causing it.... When the author himself gets bored, he throws in another piece of artwork and spends a page or two talking about what boredom looks like.... It takes the author 181 pages of demonstrating to the reader that he's discovered the thesaurus feature of MS Word.... In plain English, Toohey's genius cure for boredom is to get a hobby.

2. Upon purchasing this book, I found it boring and put it up on Amazon to sell, which it did immediately.

In fairness, a few reviewers weren't bored by the book. I'll bet right now that more than one of them is a bore.

1. The sections on neurology tell us, among other things, that smell sensations travel from the nose to spinal pathways and thence to the insula.

2. Mr. Toohey's location at the University of Calgary, approximately 200 miles north of Glacier National Park, might seem out in the boondocks and a bit boring, but that is not the case. Calgary, Alberta, is a very large metropolitan area some 50 miles east of the Canadian Rockies. The city, the university, and the professor, as the book reveals, are good to know.

Who knew Canada could be so fascinating!

One of the reviewers makes reference to a psychological test called the Boredom Proneness Scale. Now, I only rarely experience boredom, and it is always a consequence of external factors such as airport terminals, continuing education requirements, and other people. Left to my own devices, I'm never bored -- if anything, over-stimulated.

So let's take the survey and see how we do: You are bored 0% of the time. Sounds about right, although, in another sense, I am extremely vulnerable to boredom. Only the unusual structure of my life saves me from being bored out of my skull. The only reason I'm not bored is because I can pretty much do exactly what I want to do when I want to do it.

Which isn't much, at least if viewed from the outside. If the average person were forced to adopt my eccentric (incentric?) lifestyle, he'd probably go nuts. As would I if forced to adopt his.

I don't understand how most people don't die of tedium -- or how it is that they aren't bored by the sorts of activities they engage in, whether it is the movies they watch, the books they read, the music they listen to, the news they consume. For me, enduring any one of these would constitute hell.

The Happy Acres Guy strikes me as a kindred spirit who is never bored. In a recent tweet he mentions that he is spending his Quarantime learning all about the Fourier Transform, and "having so much fun with it that I don't want the quarantine to end." What an odd bird! What is an FT, anyway? Easy: it

decomposes a function into its constituent frequencies. It refers to both the frequency domain representation and the mathematical operation that associates the frequency domain representation to a function of time, which is itself a complex-valued function of frequency, whose magnitude (modulus) represents the amount of that frequency present in the original function, and whose argument is the phase offset of the basic sinusoid in that frequency.

I probably don't have to tell you I that nodded off halfway through that paragraph. As I said, I am easily bored. Unlike Happy Acres Guy, I'm not an odd bird at all. Rather, I've been spending my splendid isolation immersed in the psychological theories of a pedantic medieval philosopher, here, here, and here, and having the time of my life.

Fourier and Aquinas: different blokes for different folks. Science vs. philosophy. Both approaches try to discover the causes of things, the difference being that science deals with proximate causes while philosophy digs down -- or reaches up -- to ultimate causes. (Scientism elevates proximate to ultimate causes, which is why it is so intrinsically stupid.)

Science investigates the world of becoming, metaphysics the world of being as such. One involves temporal truths that may or may not be, the other timeless truths that cannot not be. One looks at the phenomena, the other into the noumenal, i.e., the enduring reality behind shifting appearances.

Science progresses by a transition to new and better knowledge, often discarding the old as false or unsatisfactory. Philosophy progresses by a deeper and richer understanding of principles that are already known (Brennan).

I hope that wasn't too boring. To be continued....

13 comments:

ted said...

I know someone using this time to learn Esperanto. Yeah, I have no idea why also.

julie said...

The only reason I'm not bored is because I can pretty much do exactly what I want to do when I want to do it.

Which isn't much, at least if viewed from the outside.


And yet in a way, it's everything. Right about now, a lot of people are getting a taste of what earthly immortality would be like - not that most of the people suffering boredom would understand that.

Gagdad Bob said...

"Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon."

Anonymous said...

Boredom is a core state; it is intrinsic to consciousness. It has no rational cause.

Why should rational beings be perturbed by an uncomfortable craving for novelty? What boots it?

It is a quasi-emotion/need that has been equated to hunger for food.

Boredom is distinguished among mental states by the incredible force of its demand for relief; nothing drives action quite like boredom.

Arguably boredom was the motivation for the Creation of ourselves and the Cosmos. God, tormented by boredom, attempted to make divisions in His Unity for the purpose of surprising Himself. Each of us was born to provide novelty to our Creator.

There is something very weak and unsatisfactory with that thought, so I'll cancel it.

Anyway, I detest boredom, it is the most tormenting situation to be in, and it is usually forced on one by social restraints. It is best to maintain total control over your schedule. But, paradoxically, being in full control may lead to boredom as some amount of duress and chaos has to be interjected into the schedule.

Or one may immerse oneself in endless interesting study and reading, however the caveat to that is you may suddenly realize you had things you were supposed to accomplish in life and time was running out.

Finally, boredom may signal the onset of the ultimate angst, the dread sensation of meaninglessness. This can kill. Boredom may certainly be lethal; beware.

-The Abbot's Habit

Anonymous said...

We're all bored as hell and there's not a damned thing any of us can do about it.

Anonymous said...

Boredom combined with loneliness creates an especially heavy burden on a person.
Boredom combined with small-talk creates unbearable tedium.
Boredom combined with resentment creates the relationship-killer.
Boredom combined with sadness creates suffering.

We've all had our brushes with boredom in combination with other negative states

A strong spiritual practice may provide significant protection against these evils.

Would anyone like to share their personal methods for shrugging off bad mental states?

I'll start off by saying I will pour a beaker of sherry if I can get away with it. This will provide some good cheer.

-Klondike Cat Always Gets His Mouse

Anonymous said...

Well I'm getting pretty tired of sitting at this table looking at this book next to a window that looks out onto a wall, day after flippin day. My only excitement is knowing that if the abbot finds me with this phone I'll likely get flogged.

-Monk without a cause

Anonymous said...

So anonymous monk you have an illicit phone? You're right you will be flogged. I'll flog ye right now then. Whap, whap, thwack. Hurts, doesn't it? Thwack, thwack, thud. Oh the bruises ye shall have in the morn, 'tis a wonder..... thwack, thwack, thwack, whap, whap, whap. Nice and red ye be gettin'. Whap. Smack. Thwack. Gettin' a mite tired I am.....

Now go make me a Bloody Mary. You heard me, move it!

-Sadistic Sadie is your full-service Shady Lady

Anonymous said...

Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name
Thy Kingdom come, thy will be done
Om Earth as it is in Heaven.

So how's everyone this morning? Sound off!! Quarantined? Bored? Tell us more about yourself.

Thanks!

I am drunk as a Lord this morning. Very abnormal for me. I think I am experiencing some quarantine abnormalities. Am I the only one?

Let me know...

Anonymous said...

For excitement I’ve been reviewing the coroniavirus national numbers as if they’re Olympic medals. As always the USA is #1. Yay! (waves little flag) But by percentage, the gold medal of death seems all over the place. Are the numbers accurate? Are the aryans really superior? How bout them Chinese?

I know that this place isn’t much into speculative science, since it’s gone dunning kruger and all, let alone even researching stuff, but should we be discussing metaphysical reasons for all this?

Anonymous said...

I just saw a video about ancient Roman latrines. Dozens of open holes in concrete with no privacy dividers, in a big square/circle and all facing each other. Murals on the walls showed people how to poop and use the communal butt sponges to clean up. How to deal with the icy cold concrete, I dunno. Apparently without any newspapers, these were places for socialization. I’ve noticed that such videos are becoming far more common these days. A harbinger of times to come?

I was getting black poops which they say is a bad sign. So I started adding two old fashioned donuts a day to my diet and now the poops are a light brown. Problem solved.

In other news, schoolyard violence is way down. Remember last year when all the hoohaw was about kids mass-murdering kids? Our sanctioned elders recommended that to combat this epidemic, that all the kids should be carrying guns. Or at least all the teachers. As a daydreaming kid in school, I could never have imagined such ideas whenever I pondered the future, which back then was so bright I had to wear shades. Funny how quickly things change.

I don’t hear our sanctioned elders discussing the metaphysical reasons for coronavirus much. What’s Gods plan anyways? As we all know, in the past hurricanes were being caused by the Miami gays. But is covid one of the horsemen of the apocalypse? I found this article from Israel interesting. I was deeply inspired by the first picture:

https://www.jpost.com/opinion/millions-of-americans-say-coronavirus-a-wake-up-call-from-god-623320

Anonymous said...

Popular sentiment has it Coronavirus is a message from Earth to us that we should lessen our carbon footprint.

I've seen the meme sprouting up everywhere.

Anonymous said...

Since 6 corporations control all the media, as well as the minds of most people, I get my news and memes straight from God.

You can say I'm on a memesmission from God.

Theme Song

Theme Song