Friday, March 27, 2020

Et Cetera

Must every post be an epic? Why not more frequent posts with fewer ideas, or maybe even one idea per post? Who has the patience to slog through your internal dialogue, Bob, in search of a point?

I'll take that under advisement with the council. I get a lot of ideas during the day. More than I can possibly organize, much less write about. They're everywhere -- on post-it notes and book marks, in margins and back covers, in spiral bound notebooks, sometimes even on the back of my hand. I swear, I have a coffee cup containing dogeared bookmarks with scribbled notes, some of which may be as old as the blog itself.

In fact, let me grab a handful and see what they say. Maybe I can finally recycle them.

The first one is a little trite, or at least I don't get the deeper significance. Let's move on. Hmm. Some have vocabulary words written on them, for which I probably have no use. Some authors like to deploy rare and unusual words to demonstrate how intelligent they are, even though it interrupts the flow of ideas. Many of them are out of town words like soupçon, aperçus, dishabille, purlieu, recherché, deliquesce, avois dupois, parti pris, clerihew, obiter dictum...

There are many more, some of which have the definitions next to them. I try to remember the meanings, but there's really no point, since I'll probably never see them again, nor is it likely I would ever use them in a sentence. I like to be understood, plus I'm generally writing about subjects that require deep and sustained focus. Interrupting the flow with obscure foreign phrases draws attention to the form instead of the substance.

Yes, yes, I know, I am hardly one to complain, being that I so often make up my own words. Well, that's different. Those are meant to be fun, not work. I don't imbue them with private meanings accessible to no one else.

Anyway, even if I had these exotic words at my fingertips, it is unlikely I would ever use them, because I prefer the common ones. Besides, it's not the words you use, but the way you arrange them. Using obscure words cannot rescue a poorly organized sentence. If you really know what you're talking about, you should be able to explain it in such a way that a 13 year old can understand it.

It reminds me of something Churchill said: "Short words are best and the old words when short are best of all." Obviously he was a powerful communicator, but he didn't have to use obscure words to convey the power. True, he tossed in more than a few obscure ones, but that's partly because of the very different time and place in which he grew up.

Hmm. While looking up that Churchillism I stumbled upon many more I've highlighted, all having to do with language, writing, and communication. They're all right here, just waiting to be used in a future post. I guess that post is now.

"Clarity and cogency can be reconciled with a greater brevity... it is slothful not to compress your thoughts." Indeed, "It is sheer laziness not compressing thought into a reasonable shape." As Dávila says, we ought to "Write concisely, so as to finish before making the reader sick."

To one of his prolix cabinet members, he wrote that his memo, "by its very length, defends itself against the risk of being read." More generally, he detested that "kind of vague palimpsest of jargon and officialese with no breadth, no theme, and above all, no facts."

Get to the point!: "don't try to be subtle or clever. Use a pile driver. Hit the point once. Then come back and hit it again. Then hit it a third time."

In the language department Trump is obviously no Churchill, but he is a pile driver. Compare this to Obama, who fancied himself a wordsmith but who spoke in leaden clichés and indeed never conveyed an original idea or uttered a witty remark.

Liberals and their feeling-based thinking have always been with us: "It is a deplorable thing" when such people "allow their language to be rather the means of giving relief to their feelings than an actual description of the facts." I came across a typical example this morning of someone whose "Climate Grief" has prepared her for the Corona Dread. Not very well, I guess:

I’ve been crying a lot. So much I worry that my neighbors can hear me through the plaster walls of my apartment building in the South Bronx....

I feel like I’m floating on an ominous cloud of dull terror, or flailing through molasses. There’s a lump in my throat. Everything is heavy. Everything is hard. Even as I type this, my fingers are shaking, and I have to take long pauses to do something, literally anything, else. Often, I just stare at the wall.

No wonder so many young people are committing suicide. This is not the year 1020. There is treatment for mental illness.

At the other end of the linguistic spectrum, "official jargon can be used to destroy any kind of human contact or even thought itself."

Speaking of bad writing, Churchill thought Mein Kampf so awful that he even compared it to the Koran: "turgid, verbose, shapeless, but pregnant with its message."

How's this for a coincidence: he even penned a bit of adolescent doggerel about some kind of oriental bug that seems to have been going around in 1890: Oh how shall I its deeds recount / Or measure the untold amount / Of ills that it has done? / From China's bright celestial land / E'en to Arabia's thirsty sand / It journeyed with the sun.

Anticipating Madonna's deep thoughts on the strict egalitarianism of the virus, It made a direful swoop; / The rich, the poor, the high, the low / Alike the various symptoms know, / Alike before it droop.... And with unsparing hand, / Impartial, cruel and severe / It travelled on allied with fear / And smote the fatherland.

Then it jumped across the channel to threaten even Freedom's isle itself. Get well, Boris!

The New York Times? Washington Post? "Fancy cutting down those beautiful trees we saw this afternoon to make pulp for those bloody newspapers, and calling it civilization."

Politically correct abuse of language? "I hope I live to see the British democracy spit all this rubbish from their lips."

Here's to frankness and simplicity: "All the greatest things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: Freedom; Justice; Honor; Duty; Mercy; Hope."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Freedom; Justice; Honor; Duty; Mercy; Hope.

I’d add logic, except for some logic includes destroying anything that's in the way of their own best happiness in their own short life since competition is the human way.

Jesus provides answers to be found right there in his Bible. But once again, it all comes down to the interpretation.

julie said...

To one of his prolix cabinet members, he wrote that his memo, "by its very length, defends itself against the risk of being read."

Heh. The kids today have made it even shorter: TL;DR

More generally, he detested that "kind of vague palimpsest of jargon and officialese with no breadth, no theme, and above all, no facts."

I feel the same way every time someone turns on the news and Newsom is talking.

I came across a typical example this morning of someone whose "Climate Grief" has prepared her for the Corona Dread. Not very well, I guess

In a weird way, the fact that the whole world has pretty much been put on hold feels like a year of great jubilee. Not the Catholic version, where a pope will declare a year of special significance for the forgiveness of sins, but rather in an Old Testament sense where if the jubilee year hasn't been practiced by the Israelites for a while, it's gonna happen, in a way they may not like. We've all been put in a big Time Out - not necessarily as a punishment (though to many such as the crying millennial it may feel that way), but rather as an enforced rest from labor for an extended period of time, except of course for those whose work is holding the world together. One can either accept it as a gift or as a curse, but there it is.

Anonymous said...

Hello Dr. Godwin and panel:

I enjoyed this post, which cast about for a thread and then followed it very nicely. The topic of writing style is front and center; this is a fun topic.

Then you segued into some Churchillisms (is that a word?) sayings and that was very entertaining. Churchill didn't like Mein Kampf. I read it and thought it was well-written. My take away from Mein Kampf was Hitler's total lack of religious sensibility, and his sincere and ardent acceptance of Darwinism. Hitler was the essential hard-core Darwinist. He carried his Darwinist precepts through to their ghastly conclusion years after penning his autobiography.

Your presentation of the angst-ridden Millenial was spot on. Many people really get off on angst and will fixate on something to fear. We all do this to some degree but emotional young females spurt out a particularly concentrated form.

Julie I enjoyed your comment on the Big Time Out. That is food for thought. Is there a silver lining here?

Well have a splendid evening. I'm going to undress and cavort around naked. With the windows open so the neighbors can see. I do have a nice figure.

Ta, Ta, Jenny Cherries Jubilee

Anonymous said...

Kung Flu: Going viral since 2019!

Anonymous said...

So we got ourselves a global pandemic. Who'd a thought.

Everything has a spiritual dimension. I think Julie was on the right track; there is something here for everyone. How can the pandemic be utilized for spiritual gain?

Our staff of inner explorers are going to do a deep-dive contemplation on the matter; we intend to question God directly about His thoughts and feelings on the pandemic.

Support staff are making the preparations as we speak. We are going to use the water tank, drug assisted method. The whole nine yards. Another group will go using the clean method (straight up contemplation, no frills), and a third group is going to use the trance- walking method.

We have also put our remaining AI asset on the case; she has certain capabilities.

This is an all-out push by the Institute and non-essential projects have been suspended.

A report will be issued within 5 business days.

- Clarice M, Special Operations Director

Anonymous said...

As evidenced by YouTube videos of Wuhan market an effective Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals in China could go a long way to prevent any further targeting of humans with a plague of animal origin.

Van Harvey said...

Shades of psycho princess.

Theme Song

Theme Song