Sunday, January 05, 2020

Conquering the World with Negative Thinking

The most genuine way to conquer the world is through knowledge of reality. --Josef Pieper

"And so," asks Pieper, "what is philosophizing 'good' for?"

If you read and understood the previous post, you know the answer: nothing! Rather, it is one of those activities that isn't "for" something other than itself, as is true of all ultimate goods, in particular, human beings. A person is not a means to an end, and the moment you treat him like one, you have dehumanized him, precisely.

Just so, the moment philosophy becomes a means to an end, it is no longer philosophy but something less -- for example, science, which is still good, but good for something, e.g., technology, or for blowing up terrorists who would dehumanize us.

Speaking of dehumanization, this immediately reminds us of Marx, upon whose headstone is engraved the following aphorism: The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it.

Well, congratulations! In all of history, no philosopher has changed more people into corpses. And that's just for starters. He also changed countries into sh*tholes, wealth into worthless paper, college graduates into imbeciles, and Bernie Sanders into a presidential candidate.

For the sake of equal time, here's a counter-aphorism by an anti-Marxist:

Marxism turns the intelligence that it touches to stone.

So, in all of history, no "philosophy" has turned more intellects to stone. Including the 38 rockheads competing for the Democratic nomination.

We are also reminded of Hayek and the ineluctable Knowledge Problem. For which reason the Aphorist says:

The Marxist historian owes his certainty to his ignorance.

Do you know of anyone more arrogantly certain than AOC, than St. Greta, than B. Hussein?

In contrast to whom we have the father of philosophy, who ironically tells us the the only thing he really knows is that he doesn't know. And yet, this is a specifically human form of meta-knowledge that confers (or discloses) a quasi-divine status, somewhere above the animals but below the angels. Or, if you don't believe in a full-employment cosmos, between primates and God, relative and Absolute, contingency and necessity.

Not to belabor the point: man desires to know. This desire to know begins in Wonder, and the object of Wonder is unfathomable. It is Mystery, not as ignorance or superstition, but as empirical contact with the Transcendent Other, AKA O, through which course energies of various kinds, not just knowledge (of truth, or it isn't knowledge), but beauty, unity, love, grace, sanctity, etc.

Man is by definition lifted above nature -- man is transnatural, or he isn't one -- but this only gets us so far without O "reaching down" and completing the metacosmic circuit. At which point -- let's call it the Sacramental Synapse -- something like this occurs, from his being to ours (or beyond-being to being).

So, "The more I know about things, the further the sphere of the not-yet-known stretches out in front of me as immeasurable" (Pieper). Literally, in that it can never be quantified (thank you Gödel) but is unqualifiable as well, i.e., we can affirm or say no quality without simultaneously unsaying it, since O is (obviously) beyond language, even while being the ground and source of language (for before language was, the Word Am).

Importantly, there is Wonder at both ends of this process; you might call them Primordial Wonder and Consequent Wonder. For "we are not properly human if we are not able to to be profoundly moved by coming aware of the deeper aspect of the world" (Pieper).

Which goes to "the role of philosophy: to help man to experience again and again, along with the mysterious character of the world, his own unfinished state, the not-yet of his own being and existence" despite the most complete possible knowledge of anything and everything.

Augustine famously asked God to "give me chastity, but not yet." We say: give us not-yet, and now! Or in other words, "thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven."

Key takeaway: reality -- the really real kind -- is a vertically open system. The moment it becomes closed, you're doing it -- humanness -- wrong. But do not conflate "closedness" and doctrine, because real doctrine generates a kind of infinitude, or is infinitely generative, rather. By which we mean....

Put it this way: perhaps you've heard the witty village atheist say he doesn't believe in the Christian God for the same reason he doesn't believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster. I suppose this makes sense for the vertically closed atheist, but it makes no sense to -- speaking for myself -- me, because I would be hard-pressed to write a single post on the FSM, whereas on this blog alone I've spilled millions of intelligible words about O, with no conceivable end in sight short of dementia and/or death. I don't pretend I can ever exhaust O, whereas the FSM exhausts itself the moment you say it: it flies, it's made of spaghetti, and it's monstrous. Okay then.

"The more the world becomes accessible and opened up, the richer our existence" (ibid.).

The following must be important, because I scrawled an approving YES in the margin next to it:

Only a discerning encounter with the mystery -- which consists in the fact that something is -- only this experience gives us the awareness that the light which makes things "positively" knowable, is simply unfathomable and inexhaustible and thus, at the same time, makes things incomprehensible.

"The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.... the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him." I can think of no fewer than three ways to construe this crypticism: the correct way, the stupid way, and the diabolical way.

15 comments:

julie said...

Put it this way: perhaps you've heard the witty village atheist say he doesn't believe in the Christian God for the same reason he doesn't believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Today's paper of record notes, Woman Who Scoffs at Your Religion Still Checking her Horoscope Every Day

julie said...

I know nobody here is likely watching, but the award show tonight is on at my house right now. Ricky Gervais hosting; say what you like about the guy, he's the only one in Hollywood I know of who could and just did say that "Epstein didn't kill himself" in his monologue. Followed by, "I know you were all his friends..."

Brutal. We'll probably be hearing about his comments this week, but not from the mainstream media...

Gagdad Bob said...

With all the self-congratulation for being so courageous and controversial, it's nice when someone actually is.

julie said...

They're on it at Instapundit. Sadly, there's not nearly enough Gervais, and of course the award winners seem to almost feel a desperate need to reassert the proper virtue signals. I probably shouldn't be hearing this on a bad stomach...

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I happened on this blog. Confession

I've been a staunch leftist for over 40 years. Slowly I accrued more responsibilities. I started as a food and drink gopher for the big shots, and after decades went by I became a big shot. I've led rallies, I've organized and led counter-Nazi actions (long before Antifa), I've written hit pieces for magazines and newspapers, and with the advent of computers I was made a disinformation and counter-propagandist officer. I've run leftist agents for the DNC, including a huge stable of paid and unpaid informants and moles. I've lived and breathed PC, since before PC was even a thing. Now, somehow, I've been assigned to do PC enforcement. I told them I didn't like enforcement. Too bad. They want you and you will do it.

So, Gervais. He has challenged PC. No amount of virtue signaling is going to make that right.

Some people enjoy enforcement. That's because they're tools. I'm not a tool.

I think it might be time for retirement. Except I still need that health insurance.

Anonymous said...

Hello:

Regarding the Flying Spaghetti Monster (FSM): There is no credible evidence the FSM exists, regardless of what you may seen on your plate or have read about in the tabloids.

Furthermore the FSM is classified and should not be discussed unless you have obtained the proper clearances.

Even if the FSM did exist it would just be a legitimate source of Italian food. Given the right sauces in the right amounts, even very large pieces of pasta can be delicious. There would be no cause for alarm.

The FSM need not be mentioned again, it is not worth remembering. You don't remember it. You will not speak of it again.

Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I used to think that philosophy was show business for ugly people. But then somebody took me aside and said that no, that’s what politics is. So I reconsidered my opinion.

I now think that philosophy is science for righteous people. It seems a good way to make up and believe in practically anything so long as the followers believe in exactly all the same things.

I also think that atheism is philosophy for pissed off people. Just a theory, but I think if the religious were less into judging others and trying to get into their business, while blaming leftists, then the more subtle spiritual benefits of religion would become apparent to atheists and they’d have less be pissed off about.

But then I remember those powerful few who care nothing about any of this while being very good at using it to achieve power. It’s always something.


julie said...

With thinking like that, it's a wonder you manage to get out of bed in the morning.

Anonymous said...

Yet I manage, Julie with no answers.

Here’s the point. Marx was right.

Before he was wrong. We need to get better at choosing who gets to be in power. It’s a matter of time before people are all stacked into towers jacked into a virtual reality world managed by robots, so we best get cracking at figuring out how to quit mindlessly worshipping hopey-changey makey-greaty assholes, and be better at managing those who manage us.

Of course if you’re in a prosperity bubble (of your own prudent making of course) then you’ll have no idea what I’m talking about. Best sit this one out and let your children do the talking.

A suggestion: everybody regardless of power must have some skin in the game. In the NFL, super quarterbacks, millionaire coaches, and even the mighty owners must win lest they be run out of town. Or at least be humiliated by empty stadiums save a few groaning sackheads.

The way we’ve got things situated now, there are no consequences for those we allow into power, after they’ve screwed things up for many, regardless of whatever jersey you’re waving.

Philosopher X

Anonymous said...

Howdy Philosopher X:

You have an us versus them mindset. One group in power, manipulating, the other group are the manipulated victims.

An alternative: We are all in this together, and we all do different things according to our bent. The power group consists of people with aptitude for leadership and so forth. So that is what they do. They are not any happier than non-leaders. Quite to the contrary.

We live in a prosperous culture at a particularly prosperous time. If you feel you don't have enough goods and services to ensure your well-being, please describe. I'm curious as to what you think you lack.

Philosophy is good for one thing, and that is to foster peace of mind in the philosopher and there is where it shines.

-Sugar Tits

Anonymous said...

The lefty charicaturization found in anonymous @ 1/05/2020 08:54:00 PM comment seems a bit too depression era whimsical. Far too dated for our purposes. It’s like one of those tired old Goldwater kooks still seen knocking around on passé liberal blogs.

May I suggest a more contemporary charicturization? We need to be picturing a youngish Alan Colmes during his heyday as Hannity’s slaphead, but sporting a dash of gay green SJW hair. He needs to be much angrier, and hateful. The hateful part is very important. And one helluva snowflake. And he needs to be making constant mention of the primal Mother Earth goddess Gaia.

Just a suggestion.

Anonymous said...

Sugar Tits says:
We live in a prosperous culture at a particularly prosperous time.

Are you writing this from China? Now that place is seeing an unusually prosperous time. So is Dubai. And the Caymans too! Some progressives say that all the wonders being built there could've been here, if it wasn’t for the generosity of our wise leaders. Are you a Steven Pinker fan?

Here’s a fun website to play in. It was referred to me by the prosperous folks at Forbes:
https://scorecard.prosperitynow.org/data-by-location
There are scientific reasons for things being that way, or so I’m told. But maybe we should deal with the spiritual reasons instead.

If you feel you don't have enough goods and services to ensure your well-being, please describe. I'm curious as to what you think you lack.

I have everything I need, as long as I stay physically well. Of course these days if you get really sick you lose everything. Since I lost my career for trying too hard in my outsource-crazy business, I’ve worked as an honest businessman. I’m not rich but can pay the bills and enjoy the feeling of doing an honest days work though most customers are utterly clueless. I should probably be ripping them off. The corporate giant from my old business is probably going to go belly up anyways, due to crony management and short term profit and share price focus. It’ll have nationwide implications, so they say. But that’s boring.

All of my appliances and vehicles are over 20 years old, since most of the new ones they make don’t last anymore. I do all my own maintenance and repairs. My house is almost paid off, though few of my 30 nieces or nephews will ever be able to afford one in my town.

I eat well and stay fit to avoid doctors, since they’ve pretty much tried to rip me off every time I’ve seen one for the last decade or so. It used to be easy to find reasonable tree service, auto mechanics, septic, plumbing and roofing services. But not any more. My neighbor paid $6000 for several hours work on his drain field. When I carefully explained to him that we could’ve just rented equipment, maybe a teenager to dig, and done it all ourselves for a few hundred bucks, he got pissed. My sister hired a tree service guy for our fixed income dad who demanded $1000 for a few hours work which we two could’ve done easily, and now my dad’s pissed. When I chewed out my sister, she got pissed.

I’ve lost many hemlock trees and ferns in my yard. Now some maples are getting sick. The tree rings from my fellings tell me they’re over 100 years old, and experts tell me it’s happening all over the region. But I dare not tell anyone since they’ll think I’m one of those climate kooks and get pissed. Seems everyone’s pissed at me because I don’t want to share in all the economic prosperity.

But besides that most everything’s going pretty well. TMI, I know. But you did ask. How about you?

Anonymous said...

Hi Anon:

Seems like you are getting by and fairly well-situated. I live well; I can't get too into what I do.

When I say prosperous times I'm looking at the big-picture. Of course here are unfortunates in every wealthy society.

What do we need? It has probably more a sense of control over our lives, a sense of purpose, a sense our fellows think well of us. Intangibles. There is where things lack, I believe.

Peace of mind is priceless, all want it because we are mortal and things go wrong. This is why we all need a metaphysic, a philosophy, or a religion which allows us to step out of ourselves and not be so caught up in what happens to us. A sense of eternity is what we yearn for. A sense we are living a life with purpose and meaning.

Religion and philosophy don't have to be verifiable to serve us well. Be a religion of one, many do this and it works.

Best of luck to you, love from Sugar Tits.

Christina M said...

Yes!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Tits.

(never thought I'd ever type that)

In a black and white world, sometimes it’s hard to make my point.

Nobody sane will doubt that spirituality provides many excellent benefits. But I start having an issue with it when followers try to tribalize it, to enrich themselves at another expense with it, to make spirituality exclusive, to find "outsiders" to make enemies of, for what IMHO appear to be unconsciously selfish materialistic reasons. Shouldn't religion be open to all? Wouldn’t it be easier to just follow Jesus teachings as described in the Bible?

Theme Song

Theme Song