Saturday, May 04, 2019

Can IT BE without I AM?

The life of the intelligence is a dialogue between the personalism of spirit and the impersonalism of reason. --Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Let us continue with our story (of the cosmos), which has only two possible outcomes: for it is either the futile quest of a contingent and randomly evolved primate to understand his origins, OR it is the return to God of his only theomorphic creature. All else is just the frivolous noise of trousered monkeys and tenured flunkies.

As with Purcell, I was puzzled by that most basic ontological distinction in the cosmos between subject and object -- specifically, how IT IS (the great outdoors) relates to I AM (the great in here, or cosmic sensorium). In no way could I understand how one could ever derive the I from the IT, unless the former were somehow there with IT to begin with, whether implicitly or explicitly.

In any event, one cannot derive the greater from the lesser, let alone the infinitely greater (and the human person is infinitely greater than its material matrix, or we're back in the ivory tower of tenured babble).

A casual and eventually thoroughgoing acquaintance with science and philosophy establishes the fact that most thinkers don't actually deal with the issue, but rather, simply stop asking questions at some point, thus violating the principle of sufficient reason, which says that any effect requires a cause adequate to account for it; which is a fancy way of saying that you can't get blood out of a turnip.

In the golden words of our fine Colombian:

--Intelligence is a train from which few do not deboard, one after the other, in successive stations.

--The doctrines that explain the higher by means of the lower are appendices of a magician’s rule book.

--To believe that science is enough is the most naïve of superstitions.

And this doozy, which in many ways reveils the entire Doctrine, if you cogitate on it:

--The world is explicable from man; but man is not explicable from the world. Man is a given reality; the world is a hypothesis we invent.

In other words -- getting back to the thesis of this post -- IT IS being derived from I AM is at least conceivable, while the converse is strictly inconceivable: no one will ever explain how existence becomes experience, or how object becomes subject. It can't be done, and if it could, you couldn't be there to do it.

Another way of looking at this question is to say that before we accept an explanation, we have to first decide what would constitute one. In short, there is truth and there is adequacy, i.e., the principle of sufficient reason. To put in personal terms, some people are so stupid, or incurious, or compliant, that they'll believe anything. And The philosopher who adopts scientific notions has predetermined his conclusions (NGD).

This is indeed where evolutionists and materialists in general run into so much trouble, e.g., "man is just another animal, animals are just the expression of selfish genes, and that's the truth." One of these three statements is not like the others (doubly so if it is true)!

Bryan Magee has a good analysis of the problem in his fine biography of Schopenhauer:

It is possible for us to pose some sort of Why? question with regard to anything. As Schopenhauer puts it: "The validity of the principle of sufficient reason is so much involved in the form of consciousness that we simply cannot imagine anything objectively of which no 'why?' could be further demanded."

In philosophy a single naïve question is sometimes enough to make an entire system come tumbling down (NGD).

Now, the core of any discipline, whether science, philosophy, history, or law, revolves around this question of sufficient reason, of which there are different kinds. For example, physical causation is not the same as moral causation. If this weren't the case, then we wouldn't have free will, including the freedom to know the truth about free will.

For Schopenhauer there are four main kinds of sufficient reason: the type of direct physical causation that occurs, say, between billiard balls; mathematical determination; logical entailment; and the sort of "motivated action" that can only arise from a free subject, or mind.

In each case, philosophical questions arise, but the first three categories aren't nearly as problematic as the fourth: "[T]he scientist gestures in the direction of the philosopher," who then pretends to answer the question. The metaphysical theologian raises his hand and says "I know I know I know," but they refuse to pick him.

The bottom line is that "science is, in a serious sense of the term, occult, in that it explains everything else without itself being explained" (ibid). Ironically, this is one of the definitions of God, i.e., the uncaused cause.

An “explanation” consists in the end in assimilating a strange mystery to a familiar mystery (NGD).

Equally ironic is that, at the end of the deity, after all the science has been, er, settled, "the mystery of the world as such would be as great at the end of the process as it had been at the beginning" (ibid). Why? That's why: because we can still ask why?

Science, when it finishes explaining everything, but being unable to explain the consciousness that creates it, will not have explained anything (NGD).

In lieu of the above, we could probably save a lot of time with a one word, all purpose protest: Gödel!, proving once again that you can't crack the cosmic egg without breaking out the umlaut.

For "the laws of logic, like the basic concepts of science, and the axioms and the rules of mathematics... must involve circularity, since they themselves generate the justification procedures in their universe of discourse" (ibid).

But interestingly, we all recognize the flaw in this approach when it comes to moral justification. Our whole legal system is -- or was, before liberals hijacked it -- built around the idea that we do not allow people to get away with crimes just because they felt morally justified in committing them.

This whole discussion hits rather close to home, because, as a forensic psychologist, I am routinely asked to give a precise opinion as to what "caused" a patient's "psychiatric injury" (or "mental condition").

The problem here is that there is an utter conflation between the kind of causation that applies to matter vs. the kind of causation that is adequate to explain mental events. In no way am I permitted to provide fully comprehensive explanations appropriate to the subject -- for example, the percentage of causation that may be attributed to man's fallen nature, or just the fact that life is hard, so deal with it. Rather, I must pretend that the all mental causes are as discrete and proximate as those in a game of billiards. The whole absurd exercise rests on a massive category error, but it pays well.

In any event, as Magee explains, "there is a point where natural science, and indeed every branch of knowledge, leaves things as they are" and "does not go beyond this point."

Looked at this way, the belief that the "big bang" ends the discussion of our origins is no better than the belief that the cosmos was caused by the god Witoto taking a leak into the void. Neither one satisfies me. I mean, I certainly prefer the former, but it's not as if it's a self-sufficent explanation. Another key aphorism:

Every beginning is an image of the Beginning; every end is an image of the End.

For example, where do all those elegant equations governing the big bang come from? Who knows, maybe Witoto tinkles them into the void.

Or maybe, just maybe, as reveiled in the Encirclopedia Raccoonica, it was not good that this Godhead, the Most High, should be allone, so He expired with a big bong and said "let there be higher physics," and it was zo.

Two final aphorisms before we sign off. Both aren't only true, but alive with truth:

--Truth is a person.

--The truth is objective but not impersonal (NGD).

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Dr. Godwin:

As always, your prose is wonderfully wrought and a joy to read! Your are a fell instrument indeed.

The topic, which speaks to the error of limiting one's beliefs to the material or scientific, and failing to connect to O,does not break any new ground; materialism/atheism is of course a mistake many people make. Does it require any further refutation in print?

I say this because it is certain you have in your arsenal more urgent topics in need of explication by a luminary such as yourself.

What are your personal conflicts, for example? Do you experience difficulties in connecting to O? Are there life problems which seem insoluble? If you yourself do not have any of this, perhaps you could write about the struggle of others.

As you pointed out in your post, most causes of inner distress may stem from spiritual blockages, and do not have their cause in the usual explanations which are endorsed in the field of medicine.

Every believer suffers from obstacles to perfect surrender an union, and the roots of these obstacles should be examined in depth and in detail; it is the first order of business of every God-lover to commune as fully as possible.

Your Blog forum could be a vehicle of practical help for believers, getting down and dirty in the trenches of individual combat on the spiritual front lines. Let the unbelievers stay back in the rear and guard the supplies, they don't need your attention. Come up to the vanguard and smell the cordite. The rank and file of O's army need leadership; and I nominate you.

julie said...

This whole discussion hits rather close to home, because, as a forensic psychologist, I am routinely asked to give a precise opinion as to what "caused" a patient's "psychiatric injury" (or "mental condition").

Heh - I know a lawyer who would love to have a forensic psychiatrist on speed dial just to ask what could motivate some people to do the things they do.

Anonymous said...

Hello All:

After sailing through life with it usual ups and downs until the very autumn of life (50's), I lost my balance and experienced heavy mental distress for the first time and it was an eye-opener. As a medical professional I had been on the other side of the equation for decades, counseling people and evaluating their medication regimens, etc.

After somatic symptoms of hypertension, insomnia, shaking, and loss of cognitive function made ordinary life (and work) untenable, I went to my GP, filled out a depression screening form, and was summarily declared to have a severe depression in tandem with generalized anxiety. Citalopram and Alprazolam were prescribed. I lied and stated there was no suicidal ideation, because I wanted to avoid an inpatient stay.

The kind of suicidal ideation I had was kind of abstract, such as wouldn't it be nice to get out of this hell for even a few minutes? The pervasive and relentless tribulation of the depression state was wondrous in an awful sort of way. No torture devised by man could equal it. It was 24/7, with no breaks for sleeping. All these years, I had no idea. No idea.

The stark horror of the depression was a shock. It was very distorting to my spiritual life as well; I couldn't think straight enough to even talk to God properly. I had long known God was there, had a decent relationship with Him, and felt sheltered and protected. Now this, WTF? I had believed that all travails were meant to build character, not destroy. So, I suspected my assumed covenant with God was not as well known as I thought. I suspected I had done something which had forced God to put a smack down on me. So my prayer life soon revolved around,"Your will be done, but I beseech, take this cup from me."

Relationships with spouse, co-workers and family immediately became strained, to say the least. However, I must say, I was treated well by all, and my spouse, who did think I needed a hospital stay, did not force it.

I could not tolerate the Citalopram, which caused agitation. The Alprazolam was helpful but caused sedation. Most of the new blood pressure medications prescribed worsened my mental state, in particular Metoprolol. Standard medical intervention was not really effective, and truthfully I didn't expect it to be, because I knew this was on me, this was a spiritual malady. I replaced the Alprazolam with cannabidiol, which allowed functionality to return, and I somehow hung on to my employment.

I had been taking the good graces of the Lord for granted, and not really trying to improve myself. I had been on autopilot. This was a wake-up call, and if I could survive it then I might learn something.

After stopping all prescribed medications, the symptoms started to recede, and after about two months I reached some kind of baseline at about 90% of my former cognitive ability, and I hope to recover the last 10 percent over time.

I don't know if others among the faithful have had similar upsets, but I would be happy to read your account if posted to the blog, and I think it would be good to share these matters and not to feel so alone. Hopefully the blog author will forgive this digression, as it is not really directly related to the subject of the post.

julie said...

Way back when, in the early 2000s, I was going through a depressive phase and started having suicidal ideation. Talking to a friend who had been in therapy for a long time, she recommended a good B-complex vitamin; I tried it, not expecting much, and assumed I'd be looking into therapy and psych meds myself. I can't speak for anyone else's experience, but the B vitamin was like flipping a switch. My moods immediately improved, and the ideation pretty much just stopped. I also changed one big behavior after that: as a stay-at-home housewife, I used to watch a lot of daytime TV, for background if nothing else. I realized that most of what they showed was designed to make people miserable and dissatisfied with their lives, and switched off.

Another big part of my depression & anxiety at that time was a sincere atheism which developed into a bad case of nihilism - again, fed in part by what I saw on daytime TV, which often offers a patently false "spirituality" which leads people away from Truth. Without that influence, I was able to really consider the possibility of God in a more objective fashion; that interest led to a desire to understand the Trinity, and here we are. Life isn't perfect, by any means, but I've never since had that depth of depression.

Seriously give the B vitamins a try. I stopped taking them for a couple years, and forgot about the psychological benefit. Started biotin for hair and skin a couple years ago, and immediately felt better emotionally as well - though I hadn't realized I had been down. Another one that helps some people is magnesium, though it's important to find a good form that works well with your system. Amazon is surprisingly helpful when it comes to researching things to help with various conditions.

TL;DR: Turn off your TV, take your B vitamins, and of course, keep your mind on God. None of those things will solve all your problems, but they won't make things worse, and might well make it better.

God bless you in your time of struggle!

Anonymous said...

There are so many practical aspects of religious faith: the therapeutic and emotionally steadying aspects of prayer, the confidence which comes from ‘being guided by’ spiritual beings and their own eternal self, being accepted in a well-intentioned community just as one is, the hope of seeing lost loved ones again...

The biggest mistake American Christians made (to be fishers of men) was allowing too many of their own to proclaim their superiority in the secular world, to the point where too many bold policies and predictions have been proven wrong. Agnostics and the youth now have measurables, which should have nothing to do with personal spirituality.

Missing limbs do not miraculously pop back on. Tormented middle eastern nations do not miraculously turn civil. Good jobs don't trickle down. Debts don’t go away. The climate doesn’t miraculously un-hoax itself. Fetuses keep dying and gays keep marrying. And the rapture just never ever happens.

So now the doubting (and we all eventually do) may be heading towards a tipping point where the doubters want to throw out the spiritual along with all the poor choices, which were ostensibly, spiritually based. It really sucks. These mistakes should not represent Christianity.

Anonymous said...

Hi Julie:

I've got to try those B-vitamins, and biotin as well. What brands do you use?

julie said...

Biotin is a type of B vitamin. The one I'm using is by Natrol, but I recommend going on Amazon and checking reviews, prices, etc. to see which one seems best suited to your needs. Right now, that's the only specifically B supplement I take, but I also take a daily general multivitamin (Emergen-c). When I first started, way back when, I just went to Walmart and looked for "B Complex". Nothing fancy, but it worked.

You might try an Amazon or even just general search for "B-vitamins" and see what common search terms come up that seem related to your needs.

Say what you want about Amazon, but as a marketplace for things like supplements I find it incredibly helpful. Reviewers put a lot of time, attention and detail into describing what they take, why they take it, and how it has affected them both negatively and positively. I look for ones that have a lot of reviews and a lot of stars, then as I'm reading I usually skim the first few "most helpful," then sort by "most recent." That way it's easier to tell if there's anything dodgy, whether paid reviewers when the supplement was first introduced or a change in quality over time that has left people either disappointed or happier with the product.

Every body is different; I hesitate to give any more advice than that, as you know your needs far better than I do :) Good luck to you!

Van Harvey said...

"All else is just the frivolous noise of trousered monkeys and tenured flunkies."

Bwa-Ha-HAH-Hahahahahhh...
HAH!!!

Theme Song

Theme Song