The same people who successfully curtailed nuclear power in America are now insisting that we must be “energy independent.” The same people who argued that Reagan’s tax breaks would destroy the economy enjoyed a quarter century of economic growth. The same Democrat party that accommodated southern and northern racists for decades continues to argue that race is all-important and that government should be engaged in the task of dividing people by race and gender and giving special privileges to some groups. And of course, the international left is now the main repository and champion of mankind’s most ancient and vile prejudice, anti-Semitism.
One of the greatest conceits of the Left is that they are “intellectually curious,” “open-minded,” or “reality based,” when it would be difficult to find minds more parochial, narrow-minded, and hermetically self-enclosed people than those responsible for the idiotorial pages of the New York Times, or NPR, or CNN, or virtually any MSM outlet.
Why are they stuck? In my view, this is not a psychopathology but a pneumapathology -- a disease of the soul. Since leftism is a faux religion, they really need something closer to cult deprogramming. This is why conventional psychology is powerless to explain it or to do anything about it.
In a way, it is analogous to addiction, another problem of the soul that psychology is generally powerless to remedy. I don’t know if it’s the same way now, but when I was in graduate school, I was even taught that it would be unethical to try to treat alcoholism with psychotherapy alone. By far the most successful approach is the 12 step program, undoubtedly because it addresses the underlying soul pathology at the heart of addiction.
Perhaps we need a 12 step program for leftists, Apparatchiks Anonymous.
1. We admitted we were powerless over the intoxicating dreams of socialism, and that our lives and governments had become unmanageable.
2. We came to believe that a power far greater than our own omnipotent little egoic fantasies of total control could restore us to the true classical liberalism of the Founders.
3. We made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the Creator and Guarantor of our Liberty.
4. We made a searching and fearless moral inventory of the well-intentioned failures and frank evils of socialism.
5. We admitted to the Creator of our Liberty, to ourselves, and in a live phone call to C-SPAN, the exact nature of socialism’s wrongs.
6. We were entirely ready to have the Creator of Our Liberty remove all these defects of ideology.
7. We humbly asked Him to cancel our subscription to the Times.
8. We made a list of all races, genders, and classes our government programs had harmed, and became willing to make amends by leaving them the fuck alone.
9. We made direct amends to such people by switching parties.
10. We continued to take personal inventory, and when we were again tempted to abuse ideology for the purposes of blotting out reality, promptly admitted it.
11. We sought through prayer, meditation, and reading the Constitution, to improve our conscious contact with the Source of our Liberty, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.
12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to other Leftists, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.